Back home again

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
I finally did it this year. After 2 weeks of 40+ hours overtime, and 4 weeks between days off I got caught up enough to take a vacation. Took 11 days and went up north east. The only thing wrong was no fishing pole. We went through Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michegan, and home through Iowa. Went to the upper pennenisula of Michigan to Whitefish Point to check out the shipwreck museum. Spent some time at Jay Cooke state park in Minnesota and then to the Porcupine Mountains. Didn't look like mountains to me, but if that's what they want to call them then who am I to argue. The kids loved playin in Lake Superior and watching the boats come into Deluth. It was great!<br />It did take me a few days to get used to not working though. It has been 9 years since I took a vacation, and with my work load and adding onto the house and my 2 part time jobs it took several days to train myself how to relax. <br />Planning a 4 day fishing trip in mid august to the real mountains in Wyoming, but probably won't make it this year. Time and money is running out. <br />By the way, if I do I am taking a friend of mine who loves to fish for catfish. I want to get him fly fishing, but am having a hard time teaching him how. Anyone know any good sites to learn how? <br />It was a good time, but it is also good to be home and back to work. We met up with my family so it is also good to be back alone. There were 14 of us alltogether with 8 kids ages 1 to 17. I might just make this a yearly thing! Will post pictures later if I have time.

Twidget

Commander
Re: Back home again

It sounds like a well deserved vacation DD. It sounds like you had a great time. :)

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

DD, I've been to Whitefish point many times and I hope you enjoyed the shipwreck museum as much as I have. There are some real life stories in there if you take the time to think about the people it represents. btw Take more time off, you deserve it!

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

We drove down the river scenic highway from east of St. Paul Minn to St. Croix falls. From there north on 87 to 70, then back to Minnesota where we camped at St. Croix state park. There we met up with my family. <br />On the way home we shot across Wisconsin from Michigan on Hwy. 41 along the lake, through Green Bay down to Madison to Dubuque Iowa. I have been to Wisconson many years ago, but was the same as this time around. Next time I am going to spend some time instead of just breezing through. My only complaint is Madison. Passed through on Hwy. 151. Very nice drive, nice roads, very polite drivers compared to most cities I have been in, BUT they need more road signs. The markers telling where 151 went were posted AT the intersections. No warning to change lanes and get ready. <br />Maybe I have become even more cinical in time, but I found the people in Minnesota Wisconson and Michegan were very nice. Too many misquitos for me, but very nice everything else.<br />The shipwreck museum was good. I was amazed at the size of the lake and the shipping lanes at how many wrecks were collisions. <br />I also noticed in deluth watching the Amanda come into load, we were all standing along the canal with many other tourists taking pictures of the ship and it's russian crew. The crew were all standing on deck waving at the toruists. Then I noticed something else. One of the crew was on deck taking pictures of us....taking pictures of them. So, who was the toruist?