Babysitting

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer
My 14 year old is interested in making some extra money. It's been so long since I used a baby sitter that I don't remember what they get. <br />My wife used to get 75 cents an hour, so that obviously isn't relevant.<br />What do you pay?

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Babysitting

Might not be relevent in your neck of the woods but I pay (aussie dollars) $10 per hr up to midnight - $15 per hr therafter. $70 all up if the sitter sleeps over and raids the fridge.<br /><br />We use a college student (17 y/old?). The fee she charges is exactly the same for maths tutoring.<br />She has her parents close by and knows basic first aid (proven!)<br /><br />I used to pay peanuts - and got a monkey. Came home early to find her in her boyfriends car 'practicing'.<br /><br />I find neighbors kids the best, always got their parents to fallback on. And you don't have a long drive to take them home.<br /><br />Aldo

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

My daughter earns $6-$15 an hour. A good responsible sitter is well worth paying a premium rate for. I told my daughter that she could set a high rate after she has proven to be worth it,i.e. make sure the kit. is cleaned along with the rest of the house. No phone calls/visitors or computer time even with the parents permision. Don't use the T.V. as a babysitter. Don't snoop. Doing the little things that are not expected have helped max her income. She filters out the cheapskates and keeps the higher payers.

gaugeguy

Captain

Our sitter gets $8 and hour, and she is worth every penny of it. She's heading off to college in the fall and it won't be easy to replace her :(

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the input. I like the idea of cultivating good clients & by doing the little extra things.<br />I'll discuss it with my daughter.