axius TVM issues

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone

Looking for my next project boat, I came across a very nice 2009 searay 310. I might go look at it in person. Keep in mind, this is a PROJECT boat. It didn't sink or crash, but does have a TVM FAULT NONCRITICAL and TVMDRIVEFAILURE error. For those that are familiar with axius, what is the absolutely MOST EXPENSIVE part in the system? I want to budget for a worst case scenario. Due to the issues, I am getting a 20k discount on the boat, I just want to make sure that I don't end up 20k in parts to get this thing working, because I kinda want a deal (and I am damn good at getting good deals!) I have diacom with the complete set of dongles, is that enough to diagnose it, or should I make friends with a dealer and coax them into letting me use G3? Also the engines have missing belts, would the hydraulic pumps not turning throw the code above? I guess I am asking for a quick rundown of the system components and common failure points.

Thanks!

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Damn, I posted in outboards like an idiot. Can someone move the thread to the mercruiser section?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
The most expensive parts of the axius system are the steering actuators, joystick control and helm. Actuators are $5K+, joystick is $3K-$4K and the helm around $3k.

Can't say specifically what those codes represent but they could just be the start of something more in depth. If the boat lived in salt water I would look elsewhere as when one issue is resolved its only a matter of time and another problem, and another, and another.....

Diacom is only good for the engine ecm and afaik does not have any capabilty for diagnosing any DTS or Axius issues. I can't imagine any dealer that would be willing to loan out G3 as the dealership must authenticate current active status every 45 days to continue use of G3. I.e. mercury does not want the general public to have access to its diagnostic capabilities.

With as deep a discount as $20K my guess is the boat has quite a few issues with the axius system and most likely a handful of other issues

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
The most expensive parts of the axius system are the steering actuators, joystick control and helm. Actuators are $5K+, joystick is $3K-$4K and the helm around $3k.

Can't say specifically what those codes represent but they could just be the start of something more in depth. If the boat lived in salt water I would look elsewhere as when one issue is resolved its only a matter of time and another problem, and another, and another.....

Diacom is only good for the engine ecm and afaik does not have any capabilty for diagnosing any DTS or Axius issues. I can't imagine any dealer that would be willing to loan out G3 as the dealership must authenticate current active status every 45 days to continue use of G3. I.e. mercury does not want the general public to have access to its diagnostic capabilities.

With as deep a discount as $20K my guess is the boat has quite a few issues with the axius system and most likely a handful of other issues
If its a wire harness damaged by saltwater, then I have had good luck with just repinning all of the connectors to get things working again. You can imagine all the stuff I found in those plugs...

Main concern is if there is a defective TVM, that would be the biggest money issue. The drivefailure error also got me thinking that the drive might not be going in gear and the CCM thinks that the drive blew up. Who knows though, its all speculation until I see the boat in person.

As for the boat being in saltwater, is there any other stuff I will need to do? I am budgeting for doing all four manifolds, bellows, gimbal bearings etc, however I am also toying with the idea of pulling and rebuilding the engines to be able to convert to FWC.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
its all speculation until I see the boat in person.
Yep

The only way to know for sure is to troubleshoot with G3, a proper oem manual and a solid protocol for diagnosis

As for the other main propulsion systems I would plan for the worst and hope for the best. $20K doesn't go very far these days on a 15 year old salty