Awakening Evinrude Fisherman

tdp63

Seaman Apprentice
Given to me by a mate a few years ago. Last known to be running fine (quite a few more years ago)but he says it wont select reverse. I am not particularly worried about that at this stage but I want to find out more re what this motor is. I don't know what size or year it is. He said it was a 6hp. Serial number is 5802M - A4016. Can't find model number. I assume I will also be refered to the "Awakening a Sleeping Outboard"link which I intend to access when the time comes. Unless I get directed to something more model specific. Great work too you guys. Thanks in anticipation for the no doubt good advice I will recieve.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Awakening Evinrude Fisherman

according to BRP evinrude it is a 1968 5hp. go thur the awakening steps. should be a good motor. hard to kill. the awakening process is basicly the same for all. if you have question or are just confused. post it the guy here are glad to help..welcome to i boats. 5802M is your modek # will need to know for parts.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

G'day mate, The model number is 5802M, the serial is A4016.<br /><br />It's a 1968 5hp.<br /><br />
seite_14_15.jpg
<br /><br />Model number : 5802 <br />Make : Evinrude<br />Year : 1968<br />Horsepower : 5<br />RPM : 4000<br />Displacement : 8.84 cu.in. = 144.8 cc <br />Cylinder : 2<br />Weight : 41 lbs. = 18.6 Kg <br />Propeller Pitch : 8 x 7 1/2<br />Gear Ratio : 12:25 <br /> <br />Which puts it as an "Angler", not the "Fisherman". Someone has probably swapped the cowl.<br /><br />If you find that it has weak or no spark on either cylinder, it will probably be the magneto coils, the old coils tend to crack and split, then they don't work properly any more. The points also can get dirty and it's not uncommon for condensers to dry out (the electrolite inside the capacitor) with age. New coils are easy to get, as are points and condensers. However, if you can get them online from the USA, they will be half the price of the coils in our shops.

Paul Moir

Admiral

The 5hp Angler and 6hp Fisherman are easy to tell apart. The Angler runs in forward only while the Fisherman has a F-N-R gearshift. If you look close at Lark2004's pictures, you can see obvious differences in the midsection.

tdp63

Seaman Apprentice

Well this is interestingthen. What I have IS definetly a fisherman 6hp. Maybe replaced transom mounting bracket with an angler hence the different model number? Is that a possibility?

tdp63

Seaman Apprentice

And it does have F-N-R gearshift.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Sure could be. Look close at the paint and fasteners to see if they tell a story. That bracket was used on 3,4,5 and 6hp outboards. Check the welsh plug on the engine block (a round silver convex disc set into the block) and see if the serial stamped in it matches the one on your bracket.<br />Other possibilities, the 5 in 5802 is actually an unclear 6. Also there are plain old misprints. Jim Matthew's FD-21 is marked FD-12 for example.

tdp63

Seaman Apprentice

Number on welsh plug does match serial and the 5 is not an unclear 6. Must be misprint?

tdp63

Seaman Apprentice

What fuel/oil ratio for this?

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

50:1 fuel to oil, use any TCW3 oil, and regular unleaded<br /><br />Probably is a misprint.

tdp63

Seaman Apprentice

What about this. BRP only lists 5802M in 5 hp category but if the 5 is a misprint why cant I see a 6802M in 6hp category? Or is it that the whole number has been stamped incorrectly, not just the 6.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I don't know why you can't see it. I've got 6802 as a '68 6hp in a model list here.<br />Use "regular" octane fuel. By your rating system I guess that's about 91 RON. I doubt it would ever directly cause a bogging problem, but it does lead to deposit build up. Around here, the premium fuels contain additives that can be hard on the rubber and cork components of these older fuel systems. I've had a few engines develop serious problems after premium dissolved a fuel line and clogged up the carb, etc.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you won't always find the same letter behind model numbers. eg 6802B. 5802M. The letter is model run info, it's like a batch number. There was probably never a "M" run in the 6hp range.

tdp63

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Paul but I was also including the 'M' which wasn't there. Lark2004 has just clarified that for me. Thanks Lark<br />Paul, I know this is a different post but whilst on the subject - Could the higher octane give me idle problems?

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's possible I guess, If you are using something like Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate or Caltex Vortex, then the detergants they add to the fuel (to keep a 4-stroke egine clean) could be stopping the oil in the premix from doing what it's meant to.