Aux engine size

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 15 foot fibreglass Savage Vampire with a 55hp engine on the back. What would a good size for an aux engine be. I have a 4.5hp I got the other day, but just not too sure if its going to be bit enough.<br /><br />Thanks,

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Aux engine size

Kev<br /><br />I have a 14.5ft F/glass boat which runs a 6hp Aux. No problem with 2 on board, but not suitable for open sea and swell. Bays and calm water OK. For open sea, and extreme conditions, go for a 9.9.

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sound like time to re-sell it. Anyone know what a 4.5 Merc is worth? AUD$

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

big308 - One way to find out is to try it since you have the 4.5. Best to try it on a day where here is a bit of wind as that is when that smaller motors usually fall short. I would think you would not want to be out in the open sea in a 15'er anyway.

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll give it a go. Its a 1975. It needs a carby clean as it was sitting for 1 year; (sprayed carby cleaner in carb, all excellent now) but it starts 2nd pull of the rope.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Big<br /><br />Don't know where in oz you are, but it'll be fine for PPB or even Botany, Put a bracket on it and give it a go. You are only running a 55 as a main motor, so rough sea is not on the cards anyway.

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm a bit further up in Bundaberg - QLD. We mainly go 16 - 20 knots from the coastline; always checking the forecast. If you ever get up this way drop in for a beer or fishing trip.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

MAGNIFICENT... up there Kev.. We are freezing our mammory glands off in Melbourne..<br />We go to Caloundra and they have to force me to leave kicking and screaming :( <br />Yeah.. Offshore up North a 9.9 would be the best powerplant. You guys can set your watches by those 5:00 pm thunderstorms, but you wouldn't want get caught out there.