Automotive AM/FM/CD/MP3 Player OK on my boat?

Snailman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here's one that everyone's heard a thousand times....<br /><br />Can I install a regular automotive AM/FM/CD/MP3 deck in my 21' cuddy cabin cruiser?<br /><br />I'm thinking of installing it below in the cabin. Most of them come with remote controls nowadays (although I can't imagine why you'd want one in a car :confused: ). I can keep the remote at the helm without exposing the actual unit to the weather.<br /><br />The speakers would be marine type mounted in the rear of the boat.<br /><br />It just seems that there's a much wider variety of features available for automotive units at MUCH more reasonable prices.<br /><br />I'm particularly interested in a deck that will play not only CD/CDRW but MP3 formats.<br /><br />Any thoughts or input?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Automotive AM/FM/CD/MP3 Player OK on my boat?

As long as it's in out of the weather, no problem... Go for it...

Ralph 123

Captain

If you want to install it in open you can buy an enclosure for it that slloks like a glove box with a clear face. I see them all the time on eBay for around $20

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A car stereo will work, however, most "marine" cd players claim some type of "shockproofing" as cd's are prone to skipping when the boat bounces.

shadowdwpp

Seaman

most car stereos have shockproofing built in and usually a small buffer of 8-45 seconds read ahead so the music is consistant even if the player skips. get the extended service plan then you can replace pretty easily if there is a problem. and you might want to use a groud loop isolator if you get static since a fiberglass boat unlike a car is not grounded everywhere.