auto vs. marine parts

cardude

Recruit
This 1982 228 merc. (5.0 chevy block) with a 4 bbl rochester was dripping gas internally and stalling, so being an auto mechanic I rebuilt the carb with an automotive carb kit and float. Same problem. Checked fuel pressure, 8 psi, my book says spec is 3 psi so I replaced the pump (marine pump) still 8 psi, still dripping and flooding. Is it possible that the auto kit is different from the marine kit? Seems odd that it would have the exact same problem.

tommays

Admiral
Re: auto vs. marine parts

i am not and expert but from reading here the mech pump should stay between 3 and 5 psi and there are more duds now that it could be made anywere <br /><br />from what i have read 8 psi will push past a good float<br /><br />the marine kits may have different parts :confused: because the carb is quite a bit different in how it keeps fuel inside compared to and auto carb<br /><br /><br />the other thing that that seems to foul people up is that the carbs have float levels and float drops that dont match up with the auto specs<br /><br />meaning you need to get the correct specs for these for the exact marine carb your working on<br /><br />tommays

cardude

Recruit

I've been unable to find float level specs, I did however try lowering the float level and that did not help.

Bondo

Staff member

Maybe the Carb is Junk ????<br /><br />Carb Kits Can't Fix a Worn Out Casting............