Auto plug wires for my 2.5 mercruiser

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wondering if these auto plug wires will work good for my mercruiser 2.5 is a 1988

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Auto plug wires for my 2.5 mercruiser

Wondering if these auto plug wires will work good for my mercruiser 2.5 is a 1988

Ayuh,... What's These,..??

Automotive plug wires are generally, too short, 'n have the wrong ends on 'em...

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

2.5 mercruiser wires they should run the same length than auto why would be longer. and the ends would be same because plugs are plugs same connections than auto. is their some one that's done it out their.

Bondo

Staff member

2.5 mercruiser wires they should run the same length than auto why would be longer. and the ends would be same because plugs are plugs same connections than auto. is their some one that's done it out their.

Ayuh,.... Then Go for it,.....

The plug ends can be straight or angled,... the distributer ends can be inny's, or outy's...

Considerin' the Right parts cost 'bout the same money,..??
What's yer question again,..??

If ya really wanta cheap out,... Buy a length of wire, 'n fist fulla ends, 'n build yer own set....

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Auto and marine wire same. your right about plugs that would possibly different I'll check out thanks bondo man.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Ya know if you buy OEM Mercruiser wires, yeah I know they are expensive, they will fit PERFECTLY and are right for the engine, I would not use anything else. If you try to go cheap, you will get what you pay for. Just IMHO.

Grub54891

Admiral

Had a guy running his mercruiser at a campground a few year's Back, every morning it would run like crap for about half hour. I went over there one day and asked about it,he had installed a new set of cheapo wire's and couldn't understand why it still was like that! I told him go get a real set of wire's. He did and the next morning I heard it start up and run perfect! I got a thumb's up and a 12 pack for that one!
Nuff said........ Grub
Remember, boat engine's live in damp/wet location's.

Last edited:

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So many schools of thought on this subject.

1. OEM is best because they spend huge money in research to get the best. That may be true, until they outsource the parts and then it becomes a crap shoot when the low bidder gets the contract and OEM QA/QC on outsourced parts is very limited..

2. After market is always best... Some times not really. Seen fancy names on some pretty lousy quality parts. See low bidder part in #1.

Just like anything else, there is good and there is crap. Seen some parts that are quite pricey, with a fancy name to warrant the price, supposedly, and weren't worth the cost of the packaging. The examples of this are limitless. Then again, see alot of stuff that is low priced and just as good, if not better than than the OEM. Sometimes it is the same part as OEM with different label. One point is I used an Airtex fuel pump (46 bux) vs: the Mercruiser fuel pump (160 bux). Same pump, just not painted black with OEM sticker.

A good set of automotive wires, such as 8 or 8.5 MM silicones are as good or better than any OEM wire set. Set of Jegs 8.5's for my 7.4L for 38 bux are a HUGE savings over OEM and get the spark to the plug just as well, if not better. Wires have S/S connectors and good thick silicon boots. Be sure to use the dielectric grease on the boot ends to keep out the moisture, like one should on the OEM wires also. Just do research and homework in determining quality / fit and get the good stuff.