Australia Bans Swords.

18rabbit

Captain
March 24, 2004<br /><br />AUSTRALIANS are a dangerous lot. Weapons that would hardly cause a second thought in the hands of a citizen in another country generate concern when held by an Australian.<br /><br />Fortunately, some Australian state governments have understood the dangers of letting ordinary Australians get access to weapons such as laser pointers, a popular device for making business and academic presentations in countries such as the US.<br /><br />Americans may feel safe when an academic addresses a conference using a laser pointer. In the hands of an Australian, however, there is understandable fear that these devices could do untold harm. An Australian academic with a laser pointer would cause real panic.<br /><br />Now the Victorian Government is achieving international recognition for protecting Australians from a danger that has been around for far too long: swords. After July 1, swords will be banned and violators will face penalties that previously have been reserved for laser pointers - six months in jail and a $12,000 fine.<br /> <br />Swords are broadly defined as a cutting or thrusting weapon with a long blade, a hilt and one or two sharp edges. Although this unfortunately exempts knives with either no sharp or three or more sharp edges, or knives without handles, not specifying a blade length in the legislation hopefully ensures many knives will be banned.<br />--------<br />You can read the whole story here: <br /> http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9055280^7583,00.html

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Australia Bans Swords.

18rabbit, unfortunately, another example of Western Society going soft. It is, without a doubt, in a decline. We are bad enough here but are being far outpaced by all of our beloved 'cousins'. I certainly hope they wake up before it is too late. <br /><br />At the sake of being redundant, I'll take this opportunity to again recommend Pat Buchanan's book 'Death of the West. It will most definately help anyone interested in the survival of our society connect all of the dots related to many of these utterly stupid things that are going on in the USA as well as the rest of Western Civilization. And NO I did not vote for Pat Buchanan for President. His talents lie in other areas!

Dunaruna

Admiral

18 Rabbit, I live in Victoria and welcome the new laws. As usual (with media reports), dont let the facts get in the way of a good story, there is a lot more to this than simply banning swords. Aldo

Fly Rod

Commander

First Australians band guns. Now they band swords.<br />Watch out if they band heterosexuals. <br />What does that leave????