ATV and moving boat around on stone

TXGlastron

Cadet
I'm looking for advice on using an ATV to move my boat around. Not for launching, but just moving it on loose gravel and dirt. The boat weighs about 3800lbs and I haven't measured tongue weight. Anyone have experience where you can say certain size ATVs are not good for this, etc? I don't want to buy too small. (of course this ATV will be used for trail fun too but I'm focused on the boat trailer question here)

Thank you.

Bondo

Staff member
and I haven't measured tongue weight

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... I've got a 500 Polaris, 'n it won't carry squat for tongue weight,....
And, the hitch is pretty low,....

TXGlastron

Cadet
Shoot. Not was I was hoping to hear. I’ve really been eyeing the Sportsman. I’m still researching, any idea if the 850 or 1000 would help here? Or am I just being overly ambitious?

FLATHEAD

Commander
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... I've got a 500 Polaris, 'n it won't carry squat for tongue weight,....
And, the hitch is pretty low,....
Shoot. Not was I was hoping to hear. I’ve really been eyeing the Sportsman. I’m still researching, any idea if the 850 or 1000 would help here? Or am I just being overly ambitious?
I have a 570 that’s the same set up as Bondo. The 850 and 1000 sit on a different chassis. Check with the Polaris dealer If that helps your intended use or not.

RaftRat

Seaman Apprentice
I’d say you’re overly ambitious. At that weight I would stick to a real tow vehicle.

TXGlastron

Cadet
I’d say you’re overly ambitious. At that weight I would stick to a real tow vehicle.
How do I express the utility to my wife then? :)

In case it matters, it’s only moving the trailered boat on the stone driveway into a garage or out again. Never launching, etc.

RaftRat

Seaman Apprentice

In case it matters, it’s only moving the trailered boat on the stone driveway into a garage or out again. Never launching, etc.
Haha! That’s on you. You can always try it. Good luck on talking the boss into it.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... My Sportsman is limited by the suspension, 'n the tires,....
Even if ya bolt solid steel where the shocks are, you can only carry what the tires are rated for,.....
Which ain't very much,....
'n then you'd have to raise the hitch by quite abit,...

An ole garden tractor is a better option,...... or a trailer mule,.....

airshot

Rear Admiral
Dont know of any ATV rated to tow 3800 lbs !!! Tongue weight might be doable as some of rear weight capacity near 400 lbs....not sure how well the drive train will hold up with 3800 lbs....
I have a side x side with a 440 lb rear load capacity but towing max weight is 1400 lbs. Neighbor has a bigger SxS and his max tow is 2000 lbs. Never saw an atv with that much tow capacity. I use mine to move around its enclosed trailer but that is right at max tow capacity.

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've moved my 19 ft Century I/O 140 with my 1998 belt driven 19 hp Ranch King Lawn tractor. Back garage thru gravel then thru yard to front driveway. Just Sayin.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
A decent sized utility SxS will move that around, but I doubt any ATV will. Just not enough weight &/or suspension capacity.

harringtondav

Commander
Handling the tongue weight is key in my mind. Towing capacity assumes pulling the load at higher speeds over hills and rough terrain. I wouldn't consider this a limitation moving your trailer around at slow speeds.
Also I'd consider fitting a hitch ball on the front for better maneuverability, assuming the suspension can handle it. You could add ballast weight to the box to level the ATV and improve traction.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Not saying it cant be done, it is not going to be within the atv specs by any means! I sed my SxS to pull my grandaughter out of a ditch and my daughter out of a snowbank. It worked well but was hard on the drive train ( cvt belt) I would not recomend doing it on a regular basis. The poster just needs to understand that it would be a great risk of damaging a new atv !!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Pull my #7000 boat around the barn with an IH 234, 18 HP tractor.

The golf cart would support the weight w/o an issue but don’t think the ~8HP motor would be up to the task

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Cant compare a tractor to an atv....gearing is all different, and gearing is everything !! A quarter hp electric motor drives a winch that can pull over 3500 lbs, all in the gearing !!!!