Attwood Tsunami 500gph aerators not working

PrplGld

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just installed 2 new Attwood Tsunami 500gph livewell pumps on my Skeeter bass boat. I checked the tubing and the wiring, all is fine. I can hear the motors humming when I give 'em power, I'm certain the install connections are fine. No kinks in the tubing.

Problem is: no water being pumped (yes, boat was in the water). Actually, the front livewell was gettin water pumped briefly but later quit. Otherwise just gettin the sound of the motors. No debris in intakes. All I can think of is the outlets are pointing in the wrong direction. I have the outlets pointing down. The instruction diagrams show the outlets pointing up and specifically instruct that the outlets should be up for a bracket installation. The instructions were not specific, however, for a thru-hull install like I have.

My wife has already hen-pecked me enough about why I didn't just point 'em up in the first place so please spare me that much.

Before I remove my fuel tank and go through the pain of reinstalling, could the outlets pointing down prevent the pumps from working properly?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Attwood Tsunami 500gph aerators not working

Aerators are not lift pumps and that means they are not self priming. That also means the pumps must have the inlets below the water line for through-transom mounting, and below the level of the water in the livewell it is being used as a recirculating pump. Since the instructions specifically tell you to point them upward, I suspect it has something to do with priming. A loose inlet line will cause the pump to suck air so that may be an issue as well although you see water leakage since that point is below the water line. You might also have them wired backwards so the motors are running backwards. The impellers in those pumps can function in only one direction.

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class

The outlets must be up to release any air which comes into the pump. An air bubble means the impeller just spins in air and moves no water, turn the outlet up and the air bubble floats away. You can usually get away with about 30 degrees up but straight up is best.:D

PrplGld

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, thanks guys. I dread the idea of taking out that fuel tank again but it was my own fault.... I'll let you guys know how it went.