ATTN: *RODBOLT* Merc Aglin. Tool

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found this in one of your posts...<br /><br />hello<br />yes it looks similar only about 3 feet long and no splines<br />one OD for the coupler and one OD for the gimbal bearing<br />I will get it tonight<br />looks like this storm coming is gonna be a big one. if it hits it will make a mess here.<br />well start with a piece of solid stock 1.375 diameter. turn it back 2.145" at a diameter of 1.008" the next OD will turn back another 2.765" at 1.153" the overall length of the tool is aproximatly 26". you may wish to add a 1/4 in lengthh to the first linear diminsion. the newer v8 couplers have grease fittings that hit the first shoulder. the first OD fits the shaft coupler and the second fits the gimbal bearing.<br />good luck <br /><br /><br />I was going to see if I caould have a tool made for myself... but I see the specs you supply and what this aglinment tool looks like, and your specs seems to not have the same OD?? <br /><br />MERC TOOL <br /><br />i am just courious why :) :) :) <br /><br />kid

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: ATTN: *RODBOLT* Merc Aglin. Tool

trent those spece will work for a Merc 470 engine with an Alpha 1 outdrive? cause it looks like it is set up for an Alpha 2 or Brovo??<br /><br />kid

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

I bought one from Mercstuff.com and was very happy. Something like $69 plus reasonable shipping. Great quality. At that price I didn't think it was worth it to get one from ebay or have one made.

Trent

Captain

Captkid....Yes it will work.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> captkid<br /> the diminsions will work for your application. however the linear dimimisions need to be lengthened for the new style bravo couplers. the new diminsions will work with the early units. if your careful and have done 1 or 2 you can get by with the old tool on a newer unit. I dont usually reccomend making tools due to the cost of competent machine shop labor. at 69 dollars for the tool its doubtful a machine shop could compete unless your a personal friend. good luck and keep posting<br /> PS I took the diminsions from my old style tool that I bought in the 80's. this tool wont wear out :) :)