ATTN: DHadley

SWFLTom

Cadet
Fellow Port Charlotte person here. New to boating in the area. Any help, tips, advice, directions, or words would be appriciated. <br /><br />you can email if ya want. megatom@gmail.com<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Tom

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: ATTN: DHadley

Dont worry about being new to the area. Everybody is since the hurricane. Lots of things have shifted or moved to some extent.<br /><br />What kind of boat do you have? Where do you put in at? Where do you go mostly? Upriver or out in the bay?

SWFLTom

Cadet

I just bought a 2000 Rinker 180 (18.5' bow rider). It has the Mercruiser 3.0 with Alpha 1 outdrive. The boat draws 34" with the drive down...that part scares me in this harbor. Been pretty lucky so far. It came with all the USCG required gear, Garmin GPS152, Bimini top, cover, and trailer for $8k.<br /><br />I live on the north end of PC only 4 min from the North Port USCG AUX ramp on Chancelor. I've put in there once and went out to the ElJobean Bridge and back. We've mainly been putting in at Lashley and shooting up river tubing and going to the Nav-A-Gator. That's getting boring. <br /><br />I'd love to put in over at West Spring Lake and go over to the beach and do some water sports of some sorts there with the kids.<br /><br />We are thinking about putting in at Placida and shooting over to Cayo Costa for a day this weekend, should the weather stay nice.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There was about 25 of us at Cayo last Sunday. What a great day. We used to go up river all the time. Real nice but the sea fleas and lake lice took over and things got crazy. I used to hang with a group of about 6 or 8 boats that were all capable of well over 100 and we never had any problem. You try to go 25 and those PWC idiots try to run over you. I havent been up there in 2-3 years.<br /><br />You can go pretty much where ever you want in the bay. Just be careful if you try Bull Bay or Turtle Bay. Just follow the markers. Especially around Cape Haze Point.<br /><br />West Spring Lake has an OK ramp. Its a bit tight but OK. The beach has a fairly good ramp too. The good thing about putting in at the city ramp is you can stop at Harpoon Harrys on the way back.

SWFLTom

Cadet

Last weekend the Fish and Wildlife cops (aka officer no-fun) were out in force on the river pulling over just about every jetski that went by. I kid you not when I tell you that he had nailed 8 PWCs in less than 5 min.<br /><br />I managed to drag a crab trap from up by navigator clear back to to the Harbor Heights ramp. Didn't notice it till I pulled out and saw it tragging behind the trailer. I dunno why they put those things in the channel.<br /><br />When going out to Cayo can you just beach anywhere you want and hang out? I've never been out there.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yep. Just be aware that its a State Park and they can get funny about adult beverages. They usually dont but they can. We just follow the beach and theres an opening not too far down. Its kinda tricky getting in -- the best thing is to watch someone else go in so you see how its done.<br /><br />You can pull up to the beach on the outside anywhere you like. Anchor the boat so the back is in shallow enough water that you can hop out. That way the bow is still looking at the waves.

SWFLTom

Cadet

I've heard of a place out by "Marker 17" that sounded pretty neat. A friend told me that you can buy shrimp to hand feed to a couple of GIGANTIC snook that come right up to the pier. He also said there is a pool and tiki bar of some sorts. Any idea where this is? I get the impression from him that it's out by Boca somewheres.<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Tom

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That sounds like Stump Pass Marina in Englewood. Right on the ICW.