Attention Joe Reeves

marmon77

Cadet
Hey Joe, I've posted on the main board about which plug to use but no reply yet, then saw your post and that you have 30 + w/ OMC. My question/dilema, "86" Johnson 150 just acquired. The plugs I pulled out were QL77JC4 the plugs the store manuel showed were a different plug number and then I found a Clymers manuel and it showed even a different plug # a UL77V. It stated in Clymers that for "87" - "90" to use the QL77JC4 but not for the "86" I should also mention that I cross referenced the plug to an NGK BUHXW-1 which I purchased but haven't run them in it yet. Your advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

angus63

Captain
Re: Attention Joe Reeves

http://www.boatsetup.com/SparkPlugChart.html <br /><br />Looks like UL77V (non suppressor plug) is called out<br />The QL plugs are for motors with VRO and/or electronic ignitions (CD ignition).<br /><br />Looks like 87 was when the QL type plugs are recommended.<br />I'm sure Joe will better explain this if he stumbles across this.<br /><br />Good luck

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

M.A..... I have no idea as to what a NGK BUHXW-1 might be pertaining to its heat range.<br /><br />The L77JC4 or QL77JC4 Champion spark plugs are to be used in the Evinrude and Johnson outboards that incorporate the "Magneto Capacitance Discharge" ignition system (yours) that were manufactured starting in 1973 to some point in later years (late 1990s, possibly higher).<br /><br />You can use either the L77JC4 or QL77JC4 plugs and gap them at .040 . I know some manuals say to gap them at .030...... trust me, set them at .040 .<br /><br />The "Q" indicates a suppressor plugs that is designed to help eliminate noise (ignition splatter etc) from interfering with any electronic equipment.<br /><br />To my knowledge, the NGK equivalent is B7HS-10 but I may be in error there so check the interchange brochure.

marmon77

Cadet

Joe, I did some research on the web and over the phone today trying to get the correct plug. The ones that were recommended were QL16V, Champions web sight,and UL77V from Clymers manuel. The plugs I took out were QL77JC4 and when the boat was cold it wouldn't stay idleing and kept shuting off until it was warm. Since I changed plug types it fires on the 1 st or 2 nd turn and stays running. Joe not to ramble on but it's not just a slight difference in plug numbers they're two different plug types,an exposed electrode compared to the flat looking plug. I should mention that I purchased this boat a few days ago and just wanted to make sure I had the right plugs.

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

M.A.<br /><br />Plese do not duplicate threads. It get's confusing. Your previous thread has been transferred here and the other thread has been deleted.<br /><br />From previous.<br /><br />I went to replace the plugs on my "86" Johnson 150, I wasn't sure which one to get because I had left the one I pulled at the house so I decided to use thier manuel and look up the year and model. From what I thought I remembered the plug was a QL77JC4/L77JC4 about $2.49 ea. but the catalog showed a plug (forgot the # ) $8.49 ea. so I asked one of the guys there and he said go with what the catalog said. I then saw a Clymer's manuel and looked in it and it showed me a totally different plug all together a UL77V $4.79 ea. Thanks for the assist! <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 9 | From: Dade City Fl. | Registered: Jan 2005 | IP: Logged | <br /> <br />marinegrh <br />Petty Officer 2nd Class <br />Member # 32191 <br /><br /> posted January 26, 2005 08:58 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />those plugs are all used on that engine i believe, they have different heat ranges but omc loved to use the heck out of those ql77jc4's...however i am looking at a cross reference and a 86 150 should take a ql16v price is going to be what the dealer wants, id try napa first though they are pretty cheap <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 140 | From: jacksonville florida | Registered: Sep 2003 | IP: Logged | <br /> <br />walleyehed <br /><br />Commander <br />Member # 26896 <br /><br /> posted January 26, 2005 10:42 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />My book shows UL77V as the prefered plug with an alternative of QL16V.<br /><br />--------------------<br />Kenny<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 2166 | From: Texas, Kansas and somewhere in between | Registered: Jun 2003 | IP: Logged | <br /> <br />M. A. Johnson <br />Cadet <br />Member # 52357 <br /><br /> posted January 26, 2005 11:39 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Thanks guys, I went with an NGK plug, the one that cross-referenced with the UL77V. I just couldn't figure out why the QL16V was 2 times as much as the UL77V.Oh well thanks again! <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 9 | From: Dade City Fl. | Registered: Jan 2005 | IP: Logged | <br /> <br />DJ <br />Fleet Admiral <br />Member # 5471 <br /><br /> posted January 26, 2005 11:45 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />IMHO, a bad choice.<br /><br />Read my resonse on this thread.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=028604 <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 9278 | Registered: Dec 2001 | IP: Logged | <br /> <br />Paul Moir <br />Commander <br />Member # 17266 <br /><br /> posted January 27, 2005 12:14 AM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />M.A. Johnson, I might be able to help you out a little bit with the nomenclature.<br /><br />The Q in QL16V indicates that the plug has an inductive supressor in it. What this means to you is greatly reduced radio interference on your cell phone, vhf, radio, that sort of thing. On later engines they have to run it because the interference screws up the VRO warning system. You've got a choice.<br /><br />FYI, the V indicates it's a surface gap plug, and the L indicates the length of the threaded part. The numbers are the 'Heat Range' and it's super-important that that is right. Champion decided to change all it's numbers so 77 is pretty much the same thing as 16, which confuses things a lot. <br /><br />The QL77JC4 is the 'regular' plug version of the UL77V with a proper ground electode. Again, this is a suppressor plug since it's got a Q in it. There is also a L77JC4 out there. Many people here have found that these plugs work pretty good too - especially at low speed. Now I'm just repeating what I read here, so listen to those with experience with it!<br /><br />I suspect your really expensive plug was a Champion 5828, an outragously pricey 'Marine' version of the QL77JC4. It features a stainless steel shell. Frankly, since you end up throwing them out ever couple years, I don't see the point.<br /><br />Hope this helps! <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 2626 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Nov 2002 | IP: Logged |

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

MA.... In response to your post of 01/27/05 at 12:30am:<br /><br />Those "Flat" plugs are called Surface Gap spark plugs, and although they indicate a heat range, they are actually a cold natured plug which are prone to fouling.<br /><br />Various engines run better on surface gap plugs, some run better on electrode type plugs. Factory reps couldn't state an exact reason why this takes place other than the fact that some engines run hotter than others so I won't dwell on it.<br /><br />The references that you've come across pertaining to the QL16V and UL77V plugs are old bulletins which should have made mention of the upgrade to the L77JC4 and QL77JC4 plugs but no matter.

marmon77

Cadet

Thanks for your help and responses. My apologies to the board for the multiple threads, just got alittle antsy was trying not to do any damage by using the wrong plug.