Atlantic bonito (Katonkel)

David Schenck

Seaman Apprentice
I caught a few of these on the weekend and kept one. What are they like to eat and what is the best way to cook?

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Atlantic bonito (Katonkel)

True bonitos don't seem to be very high on the menu for people in the know. They are an oily, very fishy tasting critter and don't get much respect. Most people I know who catch them regard them as a nuisance more than a sport or table fish. However, I do know of a few that will keep on occasionally. Definitely not sushi grade. (I want my fish cooked anyway- who likes it RAW??? LOL) I have heard and read that quickly bled out, cleaned and soaked in milk for 24 hours it can be decent on the grill. However, in view of all the other yummy critters roaming the seas, why bother with a bonito? That's the view I hear the most. <br /><br />UFM82

David Schenck

Seaman Apprentice

yes - it seems you are correct - opinion here is much the same - i will not keep one in future - yellowtail is infinitely better

flagler_beach

Seaman Apprentice

Don't sell 'em short. I agree there are much preferred fish out there but try this. Place a filet on a sheet of aluminum foil. Place two slices of onion and spices on the fish. Drain a small can of stewed tomatoes very well and place on top. Seal the fish up tightly in the foil and bake at 450 deg. for 20 minutes. Open carefully (steam) and enjoy! The pundits out there will say to throw the fish away and eat the foil. By the way, marinating the fish in milk works well for other fish, such as bluefish. There's an enzyme in milk that neutralizes any strong "fishy" taste. People always say, I like flounder 'cause it doesn't taste "fishy". I say, "If you want something that doesn't taste fishy, eat a hot dog!

David Schenck

Seaman Apprentice

i like the idea with the foil - i will try it and post my comments later - thanks flagler_beach

QC

Supreme Mariner

We have them here too, but they've been kinda scarce for a few years. Same reputation and similar recipes. Heck you can smoke just about anything and make it edible . . .<br /><br />Way fun on light tackle if you can't get a Yellowtail to bite . . .

David Schenck

Seaman Apprentice

i put it in the smoker - excellent eating - i will keep them in future - been catching good yellowtail