Atf in coolant?

a_bullfrog_a

Seaman
My lumina minivan has lots of ATF in the coolant.<br />What should I do? I'd ask on an auto forum but<br />everybody here is so much smarter, lol.

KRS

Banned
Re: Atf in coolant?

If your radiator has a transmission cooler integrated into it, then the coolant core and the ATF core have leaked into each other, ATF in your coolant is the least of your problems... the coolant in your ATF should scare the crap out of you.... STOP DRIVING it NOW. The radiator will need to be replaced and both the cooling system and the transmission will need a flushing, I'd do it twice.<br /><br />If you aren't comfortable doing it, take it in and prepare to pay.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Defenitely get it fixed NOW. The guys are right. The cooler that is inside the radiator is leaking. Whenever the coolant gets into the tranny there will be big money. The material on clutch disks is put on using a water based glue. It doesn't take long for it to disappear.

a_bullfrog_a

Seaman

I noticed it today and put it out of commission<br />right away. My first thought was that it was oil<br />but I did the smell test. didn't think of atf<br />cooler. that'll be a good starting point.<br />that's simple to replace, so I say, lol.

KRS

Banned

Don't forget to flush, check the ATF now and even if no signs of contamination... change it (twice).

a_bullfrog_a

Seaman

I'll flush it 3 times. This is the vehical with<br />the boat hitch on it so I can't afford to take any chances or I'll have to pay docking fees this spring <br /> :(

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Non-boating Tech topic.