Assuming everything checks out, is this a good deal for this boat?

Justakid

Recruit
Hello,

I posted a wanted ad on craigslist and someone sent me info on their boat. This is what they said:
Hey I'm selling this 20' fiberform with a new 350 mercruiser engine. And new lower unit. This is a great lake and ocean boat. It has a new back deck and fully restored interior. These are some pictures. I would take $4000 cash today. It's valued at over $5000.

Pictures of this boat are below.
I'm also interested in the following boat, found here: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/-Deal-of-the-Summer_17676325

Is it a good deal?

Thanks in advance!!

image (1).jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage6.jpg

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Assuming everything checks out, is this a good deal for this boat?

Those are sure two totally different kind of boats you're looking at there. The first one, an 80's saltwater boat that's going to weigh a ton and pig through fuel, I wouldn't be interested in.

The second one I like a little better, though it also looks very dated. I couldn't imagine paying over 3k tops for it.

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Assuming everything checks out, is this a good deal for this boat?

Each has it's benefits. If you want to make lunch, or catch a snooze the white boat is more useful. It would also ride better in rougher water. I have that powerplant, it can drink a lot of fuel or I can take it easy on the speed. If you just want to zip around the brown boat is better. Whatever one you decide on, make sure to get a good test ride 1st. And work the price way down.
Read other posts in here about checking for rot in boats transoms and stringers.
Both sound as if they will have up to date engines, but again, verify yourself. If you have a mechanically inclined boater friend bring him or her along to help check the boat out. Or, if you haven't had a boat do some reading about how to check out a boat.
Be careful, if you buy a boat that turns out to be bad, it's money you won't get back.