aspeck , you be careful

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Some news of what is happening next door to you.<br /><br />Plague Kills Scores in Congo Outbreak<br /><br />By BRYAN MEALER<br />Associated Press Writer<br /><br />February 19, 2005, 12:46 AM EST<br /><br />KINSHASA, Congo -- A rare form of plague has killed at least 61 people at a diamond mine in the remote wilds of northeast Congo, and authorities fear hundreds more who fled into the forests to escape the contagion are infected and dying, the World Health Organization said Friday. <br /><br />Eric Bertherat, a doctor for the U.N. health agency, said the outbreak has been building since December around a mine near Zobia, 170 miles north of Kisangani, the capital of the vast Oriental province. <br /><br />Nearly all the 7,000 miners have abandoned the infected area and sought refuge in the world's second-largest tropical rain forest, all but cut off from the outside world. <br /><br />Security fears -- mainly from bandits and militia left over from Congo's five-year war -- also have slowed international response, Bertherat said. <br /><br />Plague is spread mainly by fleas and causes an infection in the lungs that slowly suffocates its victims. If caught in time, it can be treated with antibiotics. <br /><br />Bubonic plague is the most common form of plague and is transmitted to people through the bite of an infected flea. It usually is spread by rodents. It does not spread person to person. <br /><br />Pneumonic plague -- the kind in the current outbreak -- is rarer but also more easily transmitted from person to person through coughing or close contact. <br /><br />Bertherat, speaking to reporters by telephone from Geneva, said plague commonly is found in this region of northern Congo, but an outbreak this large was unusual. <br /><br />Unlike the deadly Ebola virus, which also is found in the dark forests of Congo, Bertherat said this outbreak of plague was unlikely to spread too quickly, given the remote and isolated terrain. <br /><br />"It's still a large concern," Bertherat said, "because these are cases moving elsewhere." <br /><br />Bertherat and a 10-member team of WHO doctors will arrive in Kisangani on Monday to prepare for a journey into the forests. He said doctors from the aid organization Medecins Sans Frontieres, or Doctors Without Borders, already were there, treating miners they could locate. <br /><br />The forests have long been both a refuge and a death trap for Congolese running from war, disaster and disease. <br /><br />More than 1 million people still live rough in the forests after fleeing Congo's devastating 1998-2002 war. Aid groups say nearly 1,000 people still die every day from war-induced starvation and disease. <br /><br />According to the WHO, the incubation time for plague is two to six days. Victims develop a fever and cough. Breathing becomes difficult as lungs fill with fluid. Unless antibiotics are given within the first 24 hours, death can come as quickly as within 48 hours.<br /><br />Copyright © 2005, The Associated Press

aspeck

Staff member
Re: aspeck , you be careful

Thanks for the heads up, and I will be careful - always am, especially when my wife and the littlest aspeck are with me (good news is it looks like they may be able to stay a little longer before returning to the states). Am not too worried about that in the Congo - there are a lot of miles between me and them. I do, however, have my eyes on a couple of other happenings closer home - many refugees from these countries are coming to Ghana in search of peace, but bringing with them a lot of anger and bitterness. Ghana has some borders sealed off right now, but ... please keep the following situations in prayer:<br /><br />Togo (about 75 miles from us)<br /><br />Instead of following the constitution's provision that the speaker of parliament become interim president until national elections could be held in 60 days, the military had parliament amend the constitution so that Gnassingbe could complete his father's term, which expires in 2008. <br /><br />The African Union expressed concern Saturday over "the rapid deterioration of the situation in Togo" and condemned "the repression of the peaceful demonstration, which caused the loss of human lives Saturday morning." Fani-Kayode, the Nigerian president’s press secretary, reiterated a warning to Togo not to harm the sizable Nigerian community in the nation of 5 million.<br /><br /><br />Nigeria (about 300 miles away)<br /><br />LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) - Nigeria will do whatever it takes to ensure peace in the region, the presidential spokesman said Monday when asked whether the West African heavyweight would consider intervening militarily in Togo. "Whatever it takes to not only protect the territoriality of our nation, but also to ensure there's peace, democracy and stability in the West African sub-region, we will do," said Femi Fani-Kayode, a spokesman for President Olusegun Obasanjo, who has spearheaded efforts by West African leaders to pressure Togo to reverse its army's installation of Faure Gnassingbe to succeed his late father as president. <br /><br /><br />Liberia (the fartherest away, but many refugees are in the country and living in huge refugee camps that are really unfit for human habitation)<br /><br />The year 2005 will be an important transitional year for Liberia. The country is preparing for the election of a new government in October. Disarmament and demobilization of combatants, which was badly behind schedule in 2004, is expected to be completed in 2005. More than 100,000 combatants have been disarmed; however, there remain 35,000 to be disarmed. This process has caused a shortage of funds for rehabilitation and re-integration activities for the IDP population.<br /><br />340,000 Liberian refugees in neighboring countries and the majority of the half million internally displaced persons (IDPs) are expected to return to Liberia this year. The start of repatriation to Liberia is yet another indication of the achievements made in returning peace to Liberia.<br /><br /><br />Ivory Coast (about a 5 hours drive by car)<br /><br />It looks deceptively as if Cote d'Ivoire is at peace again. Many schools have reopened in the rebel-run north and noisy groups of children wearing black and white or gingham check uniforms kick up the dust on their way to class in the morning. But after two and a half years of armed confrontation, the war is far from over. And despite appearances, the schools are not running normally. Classes and exams have been disrupted for three years running and a generation of young Ivorians risk being left out in the cold. Most schools, hospitals, courts, tax offices and other state-run services closed down in the northern half of Cote d'Ivoire in September 2002, when civil war broke out, partitioning the country of 16 million people between the government-controlled south and insurgent north.

gonfishn

Commander

Got your email Aspect..Hope ya get this one..Sorry to hear about all the turmoil in your neck of the world..Hows the fishn and what the heck do ya fish for over there..

aspeck

Staff member

Redfish, mackeral, barracuda, marlin, shark, tuna offshore. Inland, tilapia and catfish. Stay away from the freshwater fish though, they have a bacteria that is not good for us wimpy Americans.<br /><br />Don't have the time to go fishing over here - bummer! One of these days I am going to charter a boat for marlin. Another day I will go on one of the dugout canoes 7 miles out and fish with handlines for 100 pound tuna, shark, redfish, etc.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Now that sounds like fun, the handlining!!