Asking for an exception to join the Starmada

and2ram

Seaman
Exception requested as it's not a Starcraft, but a long lost cousin. 1987 Sylvan Super Sportster, 3.0 Mercruiser 130...picked it up for $3500. Not the cheapest but a real clean boat. I paid a little more by going with through a dealer but after the first test drive and a notable shift issue they installed a new shift cable, doubtful a private party would have done this and kept the price the same. She rides wonderfully and is in great shape.

Two issues identified so far: Slight hesitation upon acceleration and the floor has, at most, 2 seasons left in it. the transom looks great, pretty sure she has been covered her whole life judging by the condition of much of the interior. Not too worried about the acceleration issue as she hasn't been run much this summer. The floor I will probably takle next year. Curious how long it took you all to get the floor replaced? I'd hope to get it done in a long weekend but :confused:. Hopefully you all won't mind me hanging around here, the Sylvan forum is dead dead dead...surprising considering the number of them out there. It would be a lot of fun to pur her right next to an 18' Starcraft Super Sport IO and play spot the differences.

Sylvan.jpg

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Asking for an exception to join the Starmada

I vote YES.

Let he without Tin cast the first stone!

bryanwess2000

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ezmobee welcomed me when I got my 16' sylvan sportster of course it wasn't long before I bought a starcraft sfm 190 and put the sylvan on the back burner. I think it's wise to buy a usable boat that doesn't need a complete makeover. The time away from your family and away from actually being on the water enjoying life takes its toll. That being said I'll probably finish the sylvan and look for a 22ft mariner
or other 22ft v5 hull I can make into a center console, but I'll have my 19 footer to go out on while I'm into another restore.

barato2

Commander

boat looks nice. when you could blindfold any of us and take us for a ride and we wouldn't know it wasn't an SS.....not sure it matters. whether there is actually any corporate DNA transfer or not, it's pretty obvious that the sylvan engineers knew what brand boat to take a few ideas from.....

your hesitation is likely just tuneup issues.....couple of hours in the driveway. but if your floors are going, don't assume that your transom is OK even if the parts you can see look OK

and2ram

Seaman

but if your floors are going, don't assume that your transom is OK even if the parts you can see look OK

I will be pulling the corner caps off soon, hoping it's alright...since it's an IO this won't be an "easy" fix. I think the floors went earlier than they needed because it has the center storage access hole. Looks nice and is convenient but it means there is a whole in the most unsupported area of the floor. I suppose in the end they lasted 25 years, not too bad. Of the dozen or so boats I looked not one had super solid floors, thank goodness it's an aluminum boat! Can't imagine having to replace stringers :eek:

barato2

Commander

Can't imagine having to replace stringers
the man understands the Wisdom of Tin......

that's a good plan. pulling the corner caps should probably be part of any pre-resto assessment.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I vote yes. Definitely ss DNA.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Your hesitation is the accelerator pump in the carb - an offseason carb rebuild will remedy that.

BTW - the accelerator pump is a small pressure pump in your carb that when you hit the accelerator quickly - it will squirt some fuel into the throat of the carb - this prevents the bog. Chances are the seal on the pump is aged or the carb is just gummed up.

A kit is $60 for the DIY'er - but it is a fiddly job.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Very sharp looking METAL boat man, excellent!!:D

and2ram

Seaman

Awesome thanks guys! Starcrafter did you ever get a 21 or 23 pitch prop? This has a 17 now and I think a 21 would do wonders.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a Starcraft to me. I didn't see any other markings to state otherwise. :cool:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since Sylvan is a member of the Starcraft family, I vote for for a free pass. Welcome to the Starmada, Sylvan/Smokercraft/StarWeld/American Angler division. I think I got all the tinnies in the SC tin family. LOL.

Nice looking SS. Well it will look like a Super Sport after you fix the misspelled Starcraft decal on the sides. A long weekend or two and you can take care of the floor. Since it's an I/O the transom (if needed) might be a little longer but still not a daunting task like a "stringer" boat. The hesitation might just be old gas. Run a couple of tanks through her and if it doesn't improve then go for the carb re-build.

Run the Sylvan through a spell-checker and have fun. :D

barato2

Commander

the one matter we haven't discussed is the small matter of dues.....does he know about the copious-quantities-of-pix posting requirement?

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

this crowd is tough about pics, one pic may not be enough to get you in:)

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Awesome thanks guys! Starcrafter did you ever get a 21 or 23 pitch prop? This has a 17 now and I think a 21 would do wonders.

That would be my choice!! STainless even better....just need the cash!!

and2ram

Seaman

Oh, I can get pictures, stay tuned.

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice boat brother. Welcome to the Starmada.

I've used a 22 and 24 pitch stainless prop on my SS 18 with a 115 4 stroke Suzuki. Both performed well and will be useful in different situations. With the 22, I reached max RPM and still had throttle left at 40 mph. With the 24, at full throttle I was 200 under max RPM and going around 45. I wasn't paying attention to whether or not I was going with or against the tide, I was too busy smiling.

Enjoy that boat.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Pics and I vote he's in.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Dude, that is too funny! How long have you been waiting to use that one. Still laughing.

Amazingly...such things pop in and out of my mind as I am typing..luckily I grabbed it before my brain started playing some random 1970s song...play that funky music white boy..play that funky music white boy....oh dammmmm see?