Arnold! You Rock!

NYMINUTE

Captain
SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who outraged some Mexican-American groups last week by calling for a closed border, praised the civilian volunteer Minuteman Project for its patrols to spot illegal immigrants.<br /><br />"Look, they've cut down the crossing of illegal immigrants by a huge percentage," Schwarzenegger told KFI-AM's "The John & Ken Show" on Thursday.<br /><br />The Republican governor accused the federal government of failing to control the border and said it encouraged illicit crossers by giving them access to water.<br /><br />"The whole system is set up to really invite people to come in here illegally, and that has to stop," he said.<br /><br />The Minuteman Project involves hundreds of volunteers, some armed, who have been patrolling the Mexico-Arizona border since April 1 to document and report illegal crossings.<br /><br />Chris Simcox, a Minuteman organizer, welcomed Schwarzenegger's support. "It's gratifying to see that elected officials are responding to the will of the people," he said.<br /><br />There are plans to expand the patrols to California in June, a move Schwarzenegger "does not oppose," said Margita Thompson, his press secretary.<br /><br />President Bush has denounced the volunteers as vigilantes.<br /><br />Nativo V. Lopez, president of the Mexican-American Political Association, called Schwarzenegger's comments Thursday "nothing short of base racism."<br /><br />"Those of immigrant stock should have no illusions about what his real sentiments and feelings are toward them," he said.<br /><br />Schwarzenegger's press secretary called the issue a matter of national security.<br /><br />"It's not racist to ask the federal government to enforce its laws," Thompson said.<br /><br />Schwarzenegger's comments came a week after he faced criticism for telling a gathering of newspaper publishers that the United States needed to "close the borders." He apologized the next day, blaming faulty English and saying he really meant the borders should be secured.<br /><br />The Pew Hispanic Center estimates that about 11 million illegal immigrants live in the United States, half of whom come from Mexico. California is home to 2.4 million, far more than any other state.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Arnold! You Rock!

Arnie RULES!!<br />How do you go from enforcing the law to racism?

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

What does being an immigrant have to do with it? Did Arnold sneak in over the border?<br />Somebody please explain to me why we should let people just cross into America illegally.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

He's a CITIZEN... when he was an immigrant he was a LEGAL immigrant.

D

DJ

Somebody please explain to me why we should let people just cross into America illegally.<br />
When I ask people that question I just get blank stares.<br /><br />It's the 800 pound Gorilla in the room that nobody wants to recognize is there.<br /><br />It's mind boggling.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think it's an overwhelming thing, DJ.<br /><br />So many people do it and get away with it that it becomes defacto trivial, like drinking and driving, pot smoking or tax cheaters. Rather than deal with it the public (and the govt.) sort of accept it as a reality of life that can't be stopped.<br /><br />Maybe we should petition Mexico for annexation. Then all we have to do is convince the extremist Muslims that all their troubles are China's fault and emigrate to Canada.

dolluper

Captain

Nhaa we don't want them JB besides they like warm places and American money not are cold temp's and cheap buck

D

DJ

Maybe we should petition Mexico for annexation.
JB,<br /><br />I've thought about that too, then I thought-no way. Those people are coming here to escape something, we don't need the whole mess.<br /><br />Now, Cuba is another story.

Link

Rear Admiral

America is all about LEGAL Immigrants.<br />Illegalls should be jailed and EXPORTED!<br />Arnold + 1<br />Bush - 0<br />On this topic<br />Our Borders need to be secured. Canada and Mexico wouldn't put up with it.

Twidget

Commander

How do you go from enforcing the law to racism?<br />
Thats an easy one to answer. He stepped on their toes. Racism it seemed is always being used when someone has no other arguement. Its a shame, because it numbs everyone to real racism when it occurs.<br /><br />It may not make much of a difference, but you could always sign this petition.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Originally posted by Big Poppa G:<br /> Arnie RULES!!<br />How do you go from enforcing the law to racism?
They did exactly the same thing (the lefty media) to a woman here a few years back. All she wanted as for Australia to bring it's immigration laws into line with the rest of the region, and to have ALL Australian citizens treated equally. No extra handouts just because you had different colour skin, or spoke a different language.

D

DJ

Racism has nothing to do with it.<br /><br />There are ILLEGAL immigrants crossing the southern border from ALL over the world, not just Mexico.<br /><br />The key word here is ILLEGAL.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Go Arnold! :D That's my Governor we're talking about. :D <br />Bassy