Argh - I lost my stator

Ski'nBlind

Seaman Apprentice
:confused:Well, I didn't actually lose it, it's still on my 83 115hp tower O power! I found some calm water yesterday and was doing a speed run. I had brought gps with and was going to get some real numbers for the prop slip calculator. I had been running out on the water for an hour or so but not trying to hold it at full throttle. Anyways, about 20 seconds of WOT, trimming the motor, and watching the guages the engine instantly lost power. I immediately thought I lost a cylinder but there was no sounds, no knocking, just obvious power loss. I limped it back to the lauch and brought the boat home.

I didn't have time to put it on the muffs but I did pull the plugs to look for signs of trouble. Didn't see anything definitive with the plugs so I grabbed my meter and started to check the ignition components. It didn't take long to find that the stator now has an open high speed winding. Red to ground off the switch box is open and everything else tested within range. I didn't even bother with voltages after I saw that. I just purchased my CDI stator 45 days ago....I couldn't belive it. :eek:

It should be a warranty-able item and will get a hold of them Monday, but damn, the weather in Seattle is hot and sunny NOW so down time is a total drag. I'm thinking with soo many posts about potential stator problems here on this forum maybe it's not a bad idea just to order a spare stator to have in the tool box.

I don't know how to start a poll....but to the guys that work on these motors allot.....Do you see repetitive stator failures with the inline 6 towers? Or for the vast majority once a stator is replaced there is a very limited re-occurance? Can we do a poll?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Argh - I lost my stator

I would be interested in knowing what happens to them. A stator is just a bunch of wires wrapped tightly. What can cause them to fail?

CDI seems to get positive comments here. Maybe someone at CDI can speak up and explain what seems to be happening on the units that they exchange under warranty?

Chuck

Ski'nBlind

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Argh - I lost my stator

Red to ground should show open

Yeah......Ummm....No. See this http://www.cdielectronics.com/downloads/troubleshooting guide/Mercury 6 Cylinder.pdf
The CDI troubleshooting guide states 30-90 ohms red to ground for their product. I would prefer it to be 54 ohms, just like red/wht to ground which is the 2nd high speed winding for the other switch box.

I think they will back their product up so this isn't a b*tch session about CDI. With a 2 year warranty on their stators I think they know what they are doing. I was mearly curious about a consensus if stators on the inline 6 towers are prone to failure than any other application. Heat and vibration probably being the main issue.

So if a poll starts, mark me down for 2 stators in 2 months now