Arg Stupid Battery

eeboater

Commander
So tell me, how do I keep the battery in my frickin '79 CJ7 from dieing after sitting for 2 months without running? Its really starting to frustrate the heck out of me!!!!!!<br /><br />Now I got 12" of snow coming and the battery in my CJ won't hold a charge.<br /><br />Sean

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Arg Stupid Battery

Keep it inside, run a 2 amp charge for 8 hours once a month. Don't put it on a cold concrete floor, put it on a piece of plywood or old carpet. Is the batteries age known? May be just old. How is the alternator in the CJ?

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

buy a gel cell battery, I have a van that gets used a couple times a year and with the gel cell it starts every time. Chief :)

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Small solar panel that sits on dash & plugs into cig lighter should help. About $30 last time I looked.<br />There could be a electric leak from a light or something that drains it. You can troubleshoot w/ a meter.<br />Check battery connections for crud.<br />The battery probably needs replacing at this point. Not holding a charge is a sign of a worn out battery.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

We had the same battery in our hunting suburban for 4-5 years. It once set for a year and then started right up.<br /><br />It is just a cheapo Walmart battery.<br /><br />Must be something wrong with yours, or there is a drain.<br /><br />Ken

eeboater

Commander

Hmm... it is quite old, so I'm not going to discredit that fact. We have had several shots of negative degree days at a time. Is it possible that the severe cold can kill a battery?<br /><br />How much is a battery anyways, I don't think I've ever bought one! How weird is that.<br /><br />Sean

KaGee

Admiral

You should have the electrical system checked out... a bad diode in the alternater can cause a trickle drain on the battery.<br /><br />But it sounds like it's new battery time. $50-75 will buy a new one. Go out there in the yard and dig up one of them coffee cans you got stashed and buy a new one! :p

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> You should have the electrical system checked out... a bad diode in the alternater can cause a trickle drain on the battery.<br /><br />But it sounds like it's new battery time. $50-75 will buy a new one. Go out there in the yard and dig up one of them coffee cans you got stashed and buy a new one! :p
KaGee? Eeboater needs a battery, no a coffee can! Duh! :D :D

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Most auto parts stores around here will test your bat. for free,I think sears will too.

eeboater

Commander

I used to store my money in coffee cans in my back yard. Til' the aliens came down and took it all from me.<br /><br />I'm gonna git' dem S-U-C-K-E-R-S!!!<br /><br /><br />Sean

Indymike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wish I had my 79 CJ7 back. Best toy I ever had.<br /><br />Thinking that my next project may be picking up an old CJ and do a resto on it.

ebbtide176

Commander

yah eeboater, it could be several things, battery life shot, drain, poor connctns never let it fully charge, etc.<br /><br />if you can, pull it out, fully charge it, and let the parts store test it. if you need another, you probably want to decide if you're gonna be doing alot of rock crawling, and get one with higher CCA than reqrd, and if you're really into crawlin in the rough places, you might even lay down some $$$ for a rough-use type battery ;) <br /><br />i just picked up another 24series(common auto) type, but with @ 700cca for my 77cj7. i think it was @ $54 at samsclub. <br /><br />ps: if you're leaving it sitting and believe its draining the battery, then just take the neg clamp off :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go pull the neg cable off and see if you see any kind of spark. If so, you have something draining on it.<br /><br />Another idea is a master cutoff switch. That way when you turn it off, all power is cut from the battery.

NathanY

Commander

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> Is it possible that the severe cold can kill a battery?<br />
Very very quickly. Especially if the battery is dead, as it will freeze, then it is shot. A charged battery will not freeze.