Aren't my ignition coils defective?

The picture with the red arrow shows a hose from port engine fuel pump to lower carbs, that when I squeeze it at that zip tie I noticed today I can get sometimes a tad of gas coming out

The picture with the white arrows shows a drip of gas with oil I think I have seen since I got them at the starboard engine multiple carb bolts and hose connectors etc

Are these signs of vacuum leaks there, something else, nothing?

Attachments

• port engine drip from hose.jpg
    port engine drip from hose.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 0
  • starboard engine drip from bolts and hose.jpg
    starboard engine drip from bolts and hose.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 0
checking at idle will not ensure there are no problems at higher RPM and under load

But is it safe to say that if I still have failed cylinder drop test at idle I will most likely have problems when I test under load? I am trying to only head to the marina once I've made as sure as possible to have addressed all I can find. Thanks

Today's findings:
PORT ENGINE HOT COMPRESSION TEST 03/07/2024

Cylinder / PSI
1 121 3 130 5 130
2 114 4 121 6 119

Other findings on port engine:
*Squirted starter fluid into carb throats and manifold seals with no noticeable change
* Carb throat for cylinder 6 was flooding. Carbs were previously cleaned and were ran from separate can with clean gas, so dirt blocking float/needle must be coming from deteriorated fuel lines?
*Priming bulb isn't staying hard when compressed as it did when I first got engines about a year ago
*Lower fuel pump on was squirting gas, in a rhythmic fashion out of that hole in the pic

STARBOARD ENGINE COMPRESSION TEST HOT 03072024

Cylinder / PSI
1 109 3 114 5 115
2 120 4 120 6 120
2 114 4 121 6 119

Other findings on starboard engine:
*Squirted starter fluid into carb throats and manifold seals and engine seemed to stall shortly when misted into carb throats
*Drained fuel filter cup of black specs and they returned when engine restarted. I'm running a separate tank with clean gas, so this must be coming from deteriorated fuel lines?
*Priming bulb isn't staying hard when compressed as it did when I first got engines about a year ago
*Cylinder drop test only had significant change with cylinder #5
*This engine seemed to have been smoking a lot

Attachments

• port engine fuel pump leaking.jpg
    port engine fuel pump leaking.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
But is it safe to say that if I still have failed cylinder drop test at idle I will most likely have problems when I test under load? I am trying to only head to the marina once I've made as sure as possible to have addressed all I can find. Thanks
depends on what is causing the cylinder to drop.

a flooding carb and a leaking fuel pump dumping fuel into the crankcase that provides the pulse to operate the pump , will cause over rich fuel problems to some cylinders

Idle jets and passages, off idle ports, and main jets can affect the motor at different RPM if restricted
so can the low speed charge coil and the high speed charge coil, but with spark

stresspoint

Ensign
when diagnosing """"any"" issue on a 2 stroke , compression "must "" be checked """""" first thing """"", if numbers are low as posted ""or"" uneven as posted ,then there is no need to keep ripping your hair out to chase down a issue,
its quite simple , a 2 smoke will never run properly if #1 compression is not within spec or close too ,uneven , or none :) , OR #2 an air leak either in the fuel distribution side of the carbs or on the intake side or crankcase.

i used to see it all the time , people spending hours and hours , new part after new part chasing down an issue ,even burning up starter motors cranking them over and over.
i would ask them what the compression numbers were , the answers i would get would be anything from fu+++???d if i know or they are so uneven or low that a four stroke would not even run

yours are slightly out of speck and uneven so i would start there , as posted , head gasket maybe.

you have found fuel leaks , fix them , i doubt that are your primary issue , as are your coil numbers you provided ,however if are dodgy they will not help the running efficiency of that motor.it will still run

coils generally either work or not work when they go bung , there are however exceptions to that rule , but cross that bridge when you have exhausted the basic diagnostics

please post up compression numbers so as the people here can be more educated as to where you are at.

please post up compression numbers so as the people here can be more educated as to where you are at.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Here they are:
PORT ENGINE HOT COMPRESSION TEST 03/07/2024

Cylinder / PSI
1 121 3 130 5 130
2 114 4 121 6 119

STARBOARD ENGINE COMPRESSION TEST HOT 03072024

Cylinder / PSI
1 109 3 114 5 115
2 120 4 120 6 120

So you think I need to do head gaskets on both?

Last edited:

stresspoint

Ensign
defiantly worth the effort and the cost of gaskets to open them up and take a look., you could open a can of worms you don't want see ,but if you get compression sorted before further damage is done it could save full rebuilds later on.

cylinder 2 port is a bit concerning , possibly scoring on the bore .from water intrusion. 3 and 5 numbers are interesting possibly carbon build up.

starboard the same on cylinder 1 ,3 and 5 guessing that may have had an overheat at some point looking at those figures .

the motor will run at where the numbers are but tuning will be very difficult.

Amazing!

Since being under my ownership port engine had water intrusion from one overheat I repaired with head gaskets etc

The overheat on the starboard one might have been with previous owner

Thanks man. I'll work with what I got, fix what I can of the other issues and figure out if I want to open up the starboard one later

I think my question for anyone willing to answer. Given what you know above of my two engines, do you think it is worth spending about $300 per engine to fix the things I found earlier and see if they turn out to be functional enough to give me fun for some time?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
fuel pumps and fuel lines, and then carb cleaning.
I would go for it.
you know BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand

stresspoint

Ensign
I think my question for anyone willing to answer. Given what you know above of my two engines, do you think it is worth spending about $300 per engine to fix the things I found earlier and see if they turn out to be functional enough to give me fun for some time?
if you can get a bore scope in there to get a look it will save some cash on gaskets and so forth.
you can then assess if the motor is in a useable condition or it needs a strip down and rebore.
im guessing water is getting in those cylinders with lower compression , the longer you leave it the more damage is being done .
its your call how to proceed ..
personally , if it was my engine i would at minimum inspect / replace the head gasket.

if you can get a bore scope in there to get a look it will save some cash on gaskets and so forth.
you can then assess if the motor is in a useable condition or it needs a strip down and rebore.

I don't have a bore scope, but if I find someone with one, do I tell them to check the gasket and what else?

I had thought just that. But being you guys are so amazing in mechanics I decided to wait on you. Fortunately I have none with water on them