Are Trailer Hubs / Bearings / Brakes Interchangeable?

redblur

Seaman Apprentice
My surge brakes have been giving be problems since I bought the boat. My driveway is fairly step so in order to back the trailer into the garage I'm backing it up the hill all the time and I'm always dealing with brake issues. Right now one side is almost completely shot and needs most of the parts replaced - the "inerds" are all bent and broken. The other side isn't much better.

So I'm considering replacing with electric brakes. I don't want this post to be a electric vs. surge discussion because that's been hashed through many times and I think I've read most of the pro's and con's. I've already got the brakes in the tow vehicle so there is part of it.

What I was wondering is this is a single 3500lb "Reliable Sure-Lube" axle. Right now it's got Dico/Titan surge brakes. As long as I stay with the same basic specs (bearing/spindle size, bolt pattern for both the wheel and brake backing plate) can I replace the current brakes with say a dexter axle electric brake system? Does anyone know of any wierd differences between the mfgs?

I guess logic would tell me that if the "Reliable" axle required "Reliable" hubs and brakes the Titans wouldn't have worked until now.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: Are Trailer Hubs / Bearings / Brakes Interchangeable?

For the most part they are interchangeable. The 4 on 4 flanges for the backing plate are the same and the spindles are pretty much universal. Bet you end up changing back to surge with disks in a year tho...