Are these props worth fixin?

samt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have these 2 busted props :(. The stainless is a Michigan, it doesn't vibrate that I noticed, my brother cleaned it up with a grinder, it came on my boat.
The aluminum is a "previously new" Solas. A friend didn't back the trailer in far enough loading out this last weekend and it got into the ramp cement. It's sad because it was like brand new, used it 3 days. I ordered a new one just like it, just under $100 shipped.

I need a spare, wondering what yall think about having these fixed, I found a shop an hour from me, but I haven't made it there to get an estimate.

samt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I may add these are for my 81 well craft with OMC stringer. 14.5" 17 pitch. 1.5:1 ratio running a 175HP(guess) 350chevy. I think I have the right pitch, boat gets very good fuel economy and pulls great except with 300lb skiers.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
yes both are fixable - figure 60 bucks for Alum and probably 130 for stainless - at least that what is goes for in my area

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would fix them as well. Then you have a few props to experiment with for a lot less then buying new. Or you could even sell them and recoup some of the outlay of new purchase... :thumb:

samt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Prop shop nearby said he would fix them for $75 each, I left the stainless one there for him. Another shop said they send them off for 130 stainless, 65 aluminum. I may send the aluminum one off later.

What do yall think the performance difference will be between the Michigan stainless and the cheap solas Amita 4 blade aluminum?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Prop shop nearby said he would fix them for $75 each, I left the stainless one there for him. Another shop said they send them off for 130 stainless, 65 aluminum. I may send the aluminum one off later.

What do yall think the performance difference will be between the Michigan stainless and the cheap solas Amita 4 blade aluminum?

That all depends on how well those prop shops do their job. If the rebuild the blades and bent them back to the actual cup size and then polish and rebalance them again, I say you are getting a really good deal. But if they merely rebuild the blades and polish them and that's it, maybe not so much.