Are there any advantages to running synthetic oil

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class
In my 1985 150 XR2 2 cycle?? I've got a dealer telling me it will be good for my motor. Are there any gains to be had with running the more expensive synthetic oils in an older 2 cycle.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Are there any advantages to running synthetic oil

Other than less smoke, no.... stay with a good quality brand oil and run a can of "power tune" thru it every 2 months.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Oh god, not ANOTHER ONE!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just switched to pennzoil xrt semi syn. Just put different plugs in plus the oil made a huge difference! No more carbon and soot build up. My plugs are hotter autolites range 9. I would steer clear of full syn I had problems with fuel pump check valves turing over, dumping oil in pump and less fuel. I would not chance it unless you premix. Why my check valve turned over is mistery maybe bad fuel or the oil. Worst oil is very inexpensive stuff, sure it works but ive seen how much better my plugs look now.

Coloradolakeboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Other than less smoke, no.... stay with a good quality brand oil and run a can of "power tune" thru it every 2 months.

O.K. Fazt, I'm assuming some light humor here... nothing in a can ever worked for me???

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Synthetic oil makes less smoke, less pollution and less carbon buildup in the engine.

Whether that is worth the extra cost is up to you.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

nothing in a can ever worked for me???

This stuff is better than sliced bread:D I have been using it for years and perfer it 100% over Seafoam as I have had many customers lose a engine after using Seafoam. The Johnrude XD50 is really good oil as it has the "cleaners" mixed in it.

Attachments

• 92-858080Q01_med.jpg
    92-858080Q01_med.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat

... nothing in a can ever worked for me???
This stuff is better than sliced bread:D I have been using it for years and perfer it 100% over Seafoam as I have had many customers lose a engine after using Seafoam. The Johnrude XD50 is really good oil as it has the "cleaners" mixed in it.

I swear by Power Tune. It's also a great cutting fluid and I spray a bit on the seals in the ends of the trim rams, dispels the water and stops the end caps corroding...

Chris.....