Are spark plugs gapped out of the box?

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice
I know when I used to work on stuff before computers, auto plugs had to be gapped. Are plugs these days factory gapped or do the need to be checked?
Thanks
B

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Are spark plugs gapped out of the box?

They are gapped "to something" but it may not be gapped to what your engine requires. Just because a plug carries a specific type number does not mean the gap is correct for every engine it may be installed in. Of course you need to gap it properly. In some cases it may be right. In others not. The only way you will know is to check it and set it accordingly if required.

robert graham

Admiral

Probably a good idea to inspect and check gaps before installation, only takes a drop or a bump to change that gap a bit. You can pretty well eyeball a plug's gap, since the center electrode is perpendicular to the ground electrode when they're new and gapped correctly. Good Luck!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Some NGK plugs are factory-gapped, but I always check them anyway.

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the info. What I expected. just wanted to verify. 30 hp Johnson, runs but needs waterpump/impeller? Bought plugs in anticipation that it wouldnt even start but got lucky. How much will new plugs improve performance, all things being equal?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have never found new spark plugs to solve any serious idling or running issues. Changing them is just too easy, not to try it, however.