Are Ranger Boats still a "Ranger" ?

notarealone

Seaman Apprentice
Do you feel that Ranger boats are still as good as they once were? Or do you think another boat company has surpassed their legend for quality?

gonefishie

Commander
Re: Are Ranger Boats still a "Ranger" ?

don't know, they're all very comparable these days and Ranger is the most expensive of the bunch. I like the new Skeeter, not the I class, design better because personal of preferences.

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rangers are WAY overated period! Best boat manu would be the ones you DONT hear about. Gambler, allison, stroker and bass cat make extremly great boats along with champions. The big 3 would be triton, ranger and skeeter which of course are all over TV during the Ts. Dont get me wrong they are good boats, BUT everyone has one. The Z series is a rip off. There is nothing special about the boat and when I was comparing a skeeter with the Z series it was 19k over the skeeter and they both had the same merc 225 on it and same length. Now you cant tell me there is some price markup for that name now. hmmmm.

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

ranger are like snap on tools youre paying for the name.how could one boat make you catch anymore fish than the other.i drove a ranger worst turing and handling boat i ever drove.looked at a new skeeter. there kind of cheap bulit reminded me of a nitro.not very good craftsmenship and they are pricey.thats just my opinion i sure you could argue all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just overheard a conversation today on this very subject. This guy came into the marina for a winterization while I was in for some parts. He owned a Stratos, thought he would step up to a Ranger for his next boat. Took one out for a test drive, and bought another Stratos. He said the overall fit, finish, and features of the two boats were comparable. But the Stratos cost less and handled better.

cart7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ranger boats had the advantage for many years of being tied to the Bass Anglers Sportsman Society. They sponsored many pro's and events. The average Joe buying their boats also paid for all that sponsorships by paying a premium price for a Ranger boat. Ranger recipricated by producing one of the best boats on the market for many years, quality wise. They're resale value couldn't be matched.<br /><br />Times changed. Ranger is no longer in fashion like it once was and Forrest Wood doesn't own the company, it's now part of the GenMar conglomeration. <br /><br />As for the quality, everyone else caught up. In the late 70's through the mid 80's there were plenty of fly-by-night boat builders out there producing less than quality boats, time has shaken them out of the trees. Now, most all bassboat manufacturers are making stuff just as good as Ranger so now you start looking beyond the workmanship.<br /><br />Rangers are a nice boat to fish out of but their handling and rough water capabilities don't match the high price. If I'm spending Ranger prices I think I should be buying a boat that's not only well built, fishes well but also gets me there in comfort with handling to take on the worst conditions. Ranger's only meeting a couple of those criteria. I can find just as good or better for thousands less.<br /><br />The resale value is no longer what it was either.<br />Shop around and test drive before you buy anything.

LubeDude

Admiral

My next boat will be 20' with a 200-250HP engine and will be a regular Bass tournament style boat. No more dual consoles for me. What it will be is yet to be determined. It will be used and very well could be a Stratos.

gonefishie

Commander

<br />ranger are like snap on tools youre paying for the name.how could one boat make you catch anymore fish than the other.i drove a ranger worst turing and handling boat i ever drove.looked at a new skeeter. there kind of cheap bulit reminded me of a nitro.not very good craftsmenship and they are pricey.thats just my opinion i sure you could argue all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br />
What part of a new Skeeter that you find cheap and bad craftmanship? of course there are different models and the low end model wouldn't be as nice as the high end. Have you take a look at the new Nitro lately? there are nothing cheap about them.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Let's talk about boats in the Boat forum.