Are boaters better in the snow.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Not really for the front wheel drive folks but those of us who still have rear wheel drive. I don't know if is when I was a kid I used to love spinning around in parking lots with the car and/or is it because I have been a boater all my life. I do know that snow dose not scare me. If the rear end brakes loose oh well, no big deal. Gather it back up and on you go. Boater are always power sliding so we are kind of used to it. What do you all think.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Are boaters better in the snow.

I think we should all agree to say that boaters are just better, period! ;) <br /><br />Don't get much opportunity to drive in snow - but a couple days every year rain conspires with freezing temps to cover our streets with ice, which makes for an enjoyable challenge.<br /><br />I can tell you for sure that I became a more defensive and courteous driver when I started towing.

gaugeguy

Captain

In a boat you are not going to go out of control at 50 mph, do a couple 360's and slam into a phone pole. I think driving in the snow (going into skids) requires a lot of practice. Like you f-in, I did lots of skidding practice and doughnuts in the shopping center parking lots. I don't mind driving in the snow, it's just the other maniacs out there you have to watch out for.

f_inscreenname

Commander

gaugeguy <br /> “In a boat you are not going to go out of control at 50 mph, do a couple 360's and slam into a phone pole.” I wonder if it helped me the time that happened to me. I hit black ice in a 84 Camaro (car would slide around on dry pavement), I know I tried to save it at least four times. You know the slow motion thing. Instead of sitting there with the death grip on the wheel I know the wheel was turned back and forth many times and I also made gear changes. Hell I think I even had it in reverse once or twice. Gently laid it on a snow bank and left the pole and car next to it standing. <br />Like you I also worry about other drivers. Unlike other drivers I have always avoided hitting things at all costs. I rather take my chances off road then wack another car or someone. I tribute that to driving without a license for the first year or so. A fender bender meant jail time. I just wish other people would act like that. Around here it is more like “I’m going here so get out of my way” add snow and look out.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Put a 16 year old fresh out of getting their license and a skiff of snow in daddy's new beamer, and look out, a recipe for disaster.<br /><br />I drove truck for 22 years and I have to say that helped me a lot in the driving area.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The years I spent racing cars and karts made me a much better snow driver.<br /><br />I don't know if boating made much difference, but you certainly get a "feel" for Newton's laws handling a boat.

gaugeguy

Captain

F-INSN, I was coming back from NY in a blizzard one time with my wife, she was my girlfriend at the time. I was eating a slice of cold pizza. There was a sharp turn coming up and a dump truck was coming the other way in my lane. I swerved to avoid the dump truck and went into one heck of a skid. I fought it, turning into the skid several times. I did a complete 360 and came out of it going in the correct direction and continued on my way. I asked Karen if she was scared, and she said "I looked at you and about half way through it, you took a bite of pizza, so I knew we would be alright". I don't remember taking a bite though. :D

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boating and driving in snow same thing,No Brakes.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Dam GG that is better then your avtar. Bite of pizza. LM AO. You can drive me anywhere. :D :D :D

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by f_inscreenname:<br /> Dam GG that is better then your avtar. Bite of pizza. LM AO. You can drive me anywhere. :D :D :D
Combination of luck and hunger F-in, that's all :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I really think you have something here f_in..<br /><br />I can remember my father taking me out when I was a kid fishing in our small water tiller steer boat.. I kept asking and asking to drive so he told me to face front and put my arm and hand behind me like I was steering then move my arm and hand in the proper direction that would mimic his.. ( push/pull the handle in the opposite direction that you want to go) this taught me to think about it at first and he could correct me as we went along. Doing this at such a young age instilled a thought procees to 'driving' I believe and having the throttle in the same hand magnified the process.<br /><br />just my thoughts <br /><br />.. another thing was having dirt bikes and three-wheelers around too.. in particular the 1970's Honda 90cc ATC that came out of the show room with a smooth front tire and ZERO suspension.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I never gave it much thought. But yeah, when I'm in a skid, it seems more like driving a boat. But then I grew up on a rural lake in Wisconsin and drove a lot out on the ice. The roads were usually plowed hardpack snow with sand on the curves and intersections. No salt except on the state highways. 45mph seemed to be the magic number.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

My dad once put on thrill shows for the Charity News back in the late 40's early 50's. He taught me how to drive in an open field. First thing was doughnuts, then lots of other crazy stuff. I wonder if I can still do a 360 on a 2 lane road at 50mph? I don't think my wife will let me do it with her car, company van is a bit to top heavy, and my bucket truck might do it on a 4 lane.<br /><br />I suggest to anyone who wants to learn to be a better driver is to get into autocrossing. I was an SCCA member for many years until I found that boating and fishing was cheaper.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I drive my wife nuts, give me a slick surface with room to play and I'll be coming in sidways, backwards, full skid. I just love messing around on the ice and snow. Four wheeler, car truck, tractor...I don't care it's funn plus it sure makes getting out of a sticky situation a lot easier when it is for real after all my "practice". The wife usally expierences her first "Test skid " before were even out of the drivway. Am I a better driver because of my boating...No it is my daily practice sessions!

silenscurator

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Quite honestly, the most dangerous part of being out on the road is that there are other people out there besides you. Its an eventuality, but someone is gonna make a bonehead move...indeed, it might be you...me...anyone can, but it people just pay attention and not drive like its dry perfect weather, everyone would be better off.

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why is it that all the "sensible drivers are on this forum and how come we have to live so far apart???<br /><br />Would sure be easier if everyone was like us... :rolleyes: <br /><br />JD