Are Autolite sparkplugs "resistor" type?

old motor

Cadet
I'm confused by sparkplug terminology.<br /><br />My local shop didn't have the Champion QL77JC4 plugs that I usually use on my 1989 Evinrude 9.9 outboard, and they cross-referenced to Autolite 2634 plugs, which I bought.<br /> <br />Then I did some web research and found cross references to both 2634 and 4093 Autolites. My main concern is that I also read that:<br /><br />"Some Johnson and Evinrude engines require a special inductive type resistor (such as Champion Q-type or NGK Z-type). Use of non-inductive resistor type plugs on these motors can cause misfire and poor performance."<br /><br />I can't find confirmation that these Autolites have this "non-inductive resistor" or not, so I talked to the shop again, and was told not to worry, that "all spark plugs have been resistor types for many years."<br /><br />My question is, are these Autolites alright for my motor, and do they have the correct resistor type, or are all resistor types the same? (Is "resistor" the same thing as "non-inductive resistor"?)<br /><br />(Edit to add motor model number CE10RCUE, and thanks in advance!)

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Are Autolite sparkplugs "resistor" type?

2634 checks out as a non-resistor/non-suppressor plug. The 3, being odd, indicates this. The "Resistor/Supressor" plug would be 2644.<br /><br />Get the Champion plug. They work better in Johnson/Evinrude outboards. QL77JC4 is correct, with QL82C being the hotter option plug.<br /><br />EDIT: I can't find a plug recomended by Autolite for your outboard. They have one for earlier and later 9.9s. The closest I could find was a 92-93 10hp Commercial, for which they recomend the 2634.<br />EDIT 2: I found it under the Johnsons section. They recomend the 4092. Get Champions. :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> the Q series champions use an inductor ( think of it as a tiny coil of wire) for a resistance. a standerd R designation means a carbon resistor. the difference is the EFI supression at high frequency.<br /> use Q series especially if it has VRO and or SLOW. <br /> good luck and keep posting

old motor

Cadet

Paul, thanks for confirming that Autolite was not a resistor plug, as I suspected from my research. I had also found out about that third number being odd = not resistor type....same with 4092 and 4093.<br /><br />Rodbolt, thanks also, for those technical details. (What is VRO?)<br /><br />I'll stick to the Champions! By the way, I had noticed the option to go to a "hotter" QL82C, over the QL77JC4, but I have no idea under what conditions which one should be used. This motor gets very little use, usually only a couple of hours at a time, fishing (mostly start and stop runs under half an hour, and some trolling), summer only, in British Columbia saltwater...does that tell you anything about recommended heat range the plugs should be?<br /><br />Thanks very much again, in advance!!!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Old Motor,<br /><br />Use the QL82C plugs with your motor and make sure the thermostats are warming up the cylinder heads to around 140 degrees F. That is important for good running.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

leave the QL in there. I dont think that motor had any alarms unless it had electric start and an alt. for the 9.9 I would just put a new set in every spring and go fish be happy and engoy a refreshing beverage :) <br /> good luck and keep posting

old motor

Cadet

Rodbolt, which QL do you mean....the 77JC4 or the 82C?<br /><br />(Good advice on fishing....you bet I relax and enjoy!)