are 80's-90's Force outboards problem prone?

z89mk3y8

Recruit
I have just recently started looking at getting a used boat, and will be a first time boat owner. I am interested in getting a 17-19ft bayliner anywhere from 1985-1993. I've been browsing all over for used boats and almost all of the boats come with 125 hp force outboards. the common thing that I have seen is that 90% of these motors have been rebuilt. I wasn't sure if they are problem prone or if people are just rebuilding them. I am reluctant to buy one of these boats if the outboards are no good. any advise would be much appreciated. thanks.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: are 80's-90's Force outboards problem prone?

If you are not a mechanic, stick with a 1993-1999 model, or get something other than a Force.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

they're old, most motors of that age that regardless of brand have been used regularly have been rebuilt.

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

just like any other brand of motor, if not cared for and serviced as required, they can and will give problems.In my opinion,they are good motors,especiallyif you find one that's had regular service.Some parts you have to look harder for but you CAN find them.The force motors are like a lower price line product,but still over all a good motor.I'm sure some force bashers will jump on with their two cents worth, but that's what this forum is about,every body gets to sound off,give helpful ideas,and repair suggestions.This is my two cents worth and I own a 125 force,not just bashing them without ever having owned or worked on them like some people do. Keep us informed on your purchase,and welcome aboard. moparman

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Force has been out of production for about 10 years.I believe 93-99 share some components with Merc.Some say not to successfully.Powerhead is still a Force.If you look hard enough most parts are available some at the Merc dealers.If I was buying I woulds stick with a brand still in production.
With a dealer near by.Some of the older Bayliners were said to have rot problems in transoms and floors.Folks here may be able to shed some light on years and models.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I can speak from first hand experience. We bought a 1984 Bayliner with the 85HP Force in 1984 at the Boat show and still have it. It is by far the most reliable piece of machinery of any kind I have ever owned. I have spent a total of zero dollars and zero cents on maintenance over its entire life. I put in three spark plugs because I though new ones must be better but not so, the old ones performed the same. I could have done what the Dukes of Hazard did to the General Lee and weld the cowl on. Three constants in my life, the sun always rises, I always pay taxes and the Force performs flawlessly. I won't go into the boat condition except to say it looks like it did in 1984 on the insided except for blemishes on the hull on the outside (all due to my sister's inept driving). All this was possible just simply by never, ever letting water, sun or shoes enter the inside when it wasn't intended. No magic formula or luck, just simple common sense and pride in ownership. Sun wrecks stuff, water rots stuff and shoes damage stuff. (We still have the 1984 truck we purchased in 1984 to tow it too.) Needless to say, I am annoyed when I see some of the boats I see in such bad shape.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

jkust, I wish you were the previous owner of my boat!

b-man

Cadet

I to have a Force 125hp it is a 86 model. So far it has ran pretty good, got boat last summer and was sitting for a couple of years. Fired up and seemed to sound good when I bought it. I have replaced the trim motor but that is something no matter what brand you buy eventually you have to do, just like tires on you vechile.
I have a found parts if needed for these older motors if I should need them.
But like the guy said before me lot depends on how its taking care of!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The problem with Force engines is that they tend to foul the sparkplugs easily. When this happens they do not idle well and become hard starting. When this happens, the owners (who usually know very little) start messing with the carb adjustments instead of changing the plugs. The carbs stick out there like women's breasts and men seem to have a compulsion to mess with them!

However, just like a woman, if you mess with them and don't know what you are doing, you are begging for trouble.

Improper adjustment of Force carbs can lead to lean running, which will lead to detonation, which leads directly to a rebuild.

Thart is why you see so many old Force engines rebuilt.

In actuality, Force is a relatively simple, entry level engine. Once they are running correctly, if set up to factory specs by the manual, with minimal maintenance and a little common sense, they may very well run forever.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I will tell you that with the cash I had to buy my Chaparral, there were a lot of expensive two and three year old wrecks out there also. Less of a rott situation and more of a sun damage, hit every dock ever approached and don't bother to take off your golf shoes problem. Apparently money is easier to come by for some folks. If I could have gotten my dad to sell me the Bayliner, I wouldn't have bought the Chap. He is nearly retired and seems to think he will get another 25 years out of the Bayliner so why buy another. I would probably be a Chaparral snob/Bayliner basher if they didn't build such value, longevity and reliability into their product.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't think they are made better or worse than most but that its hard to get parts for them and as we all know eventually something will go wrong. Most people are biased because of hearsay.(i don't own a force)Seems most people i hear from that don't have bad things to say are competent boat owners and the complainers aren't. Think of it this way they were sold as budget motors with entry level boats and who do you think buys these entry level boats mostly? Most people who own entry level boats usually don't take care of them and whine when they break. I think a good way to look at is what is the condition of "this" motor not an entire brand.. I would look into parts availability in your area and that would be a plus for a particular brand.

redneckboater

Seaman Apprentice

I bought a capri cuddy 19ft bayliner with a 125hp Force back in 1989 and it has been an excellent boat I still use it today... I just recently rebuilt the engine after 18years of use and have never replaced another part except the water pump impeller twice. My boat still looks brand new on the interior and on the exterior the only scratches on my boat are on the botton from the first day i bought it i ran it up on a sandy beach and scartched it slightly. But just looking at the boat it is still in show room condition. I love the boat and the 125 Force is plenty of power I pull two wakeboarders behind it all summer long with 5-6 people onboard. So Dont be discouraged if it has a Force outboard on it... It is a very simple engine to work on too.... hope this helps :D

Kyle

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

No outboard expert, but I have a '98 Force 90 HP on my 'toon I bought last year and it has performed flawlessly. Only problem I've had is the overheat alarm sounds if I let it idle too long. I've held my hand in the pee hole stream while the alarm is sounding and can't tell any difference from when the alarm isn't on. It had a new lower unit and pump impeller installed just before I bought it, so I think it's just the nature of the beast. Maybe some other Force owners have an answer for this.
Mike

wilgil

Cadet

Mine's a 1975 105. All that has ever been done to it is: replaced points and power pack with later model bits, new impellors when needed, and a head gasket that I didn't actually need to replace. I don't mess with it, just service it as in the book of words and use it every few weeks, all year. I reckon the worst thing you can do to a boat/outboards is let it sit for most of the year. Who cares if it's cold out fishing? The fish don't! A real advantage with Chryslers is that they have such a bad reputation from the majority of people, they are as cheap as chips to buy! I have accumulated about FIVE spares in my garage on the off chance that I can't get a part - I haven't needed to canabilise an:)y of them yet, so I might as well get them going!

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a 1985 85hp force last year. My dad has owned boats for over 30 years and every time we go out in my boat he is surprised who easily it starts and how well it runs. I picked up a 1989 125 that was blown for $80. The electronics, power trim and tilt, lower unit, etc... will work on my 85. Thats why I like the force outboards they are cheap to buy because they have a bad rap and they are easy to work on. Mine has never left me stranded and runs great. I will buy another one if I get the chance.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

If you're good at googling stuff you can find any part you need for a force/chrysler motor, even if you're not just ask on the forum someone will find it, my old 79 chrysler starts every time.

puddle jumper

Captain

The carbs stick out there like women's breasts and men seem to have a compulsion to mess with them!

However, just like a woman, if you mess with them and don't know what you are doing, you are begging for trouble.
Never heard it said quit like that but true:D.

J2theGriff

Cadet

I also have a '93 Force 90hp...sat up (indoors) for 3 years...fresh fuel and battery and she cranked right up...follow up with new impeller, L/U seal kit just so you don't tank it... and ready to go...like you say, just take care of it and chances are you'll have a good motor. Good luck!:D

Fish on!

"There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot"

dado78

Seaman

Hello Guys. Im proud owner of one big peace of crap boat. It has 85 Force Outboard on it.Last owner said that motor woudnt start at all. So i went and bought new spark plugs and new safety switch cause old one was missing. Plug everthing toghether and Motor start like a champ.Last owner told us that motor wont start since 2004 when last time was in the water.Dummy forgot about safety switch on it.Some new gas and baby is running great.
Boat is bad shape but i already start reconstruction of whole boat. Hey 140$ for boat,trailor,motor sound like a good deal to me..
So i will stick with Force no matter what...

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

This post is 2 years old!!!