Archaeology at The Hideout.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't know if I spelled that right and I'm too lazy to look it up.<br /><br />Was wandering around one of my tanks (ponds elsewhere) the other day and spotted a flake of flint at my feet. <br /><br />Flint is not a NW Texas rock. This area is all sediment rocks and sandstone. So I picked it up and gave it a close look.<br /><br />One edge has been chipped (worked) into a sawtooth knife edge. This is Clovis Man technology from 10,000-12,000 years ago.<br /><br />Take a look at this poorly focused shot (best I can do with the cheapo digicam).<br /><br />
832Flint_tool1-thumb.JPG
<br /><br />I am gonna look that area over carefully but don't really expect to find anything more because that area has been reshaped to make the tank.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Archaeology at The Hideout.

Cool. I like findings like that.<br /> We live on an old burial ground we believe with finding old mortars,bones and arrowheads around. When it rains you never know what Mother Nature will show us. Very cool though.<br />Bassy :)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Havn't seen one quite like that one JB. Does the "squarish" end look like it may have been attached to a "handle"? Any chance you could take a closer shot of the piece?

LadyFish

Admiral

Very neat JB. I'm dying to find out what it is. :)

one more cast

Captain

you would never have found that if sold the hideout now would you. :D pretty neat.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No evidence of a handle. It fits the hand very well and must have been used as a cutting tool.<br /><br />It is about 4" long. The relatively straight part (closest to the camera) is the sharp edge.

bubbakat

Captain

probably used to skin animals or scrape hides for clothing.<br />Interesting no doubt.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

LOL at crabby :p <br />in my yard I have found one nice arrowhead and<br />some kind of button made from a shell (wampum?)<br />agree with bubba, hide scraper prob.<br />cool stuff JB!

SCO

Lieutenant

Get us a closeup of the edge JB. I also found an arrowhead a few weeks ago, my first, while just looking at the ground in a washout area on a hill after a rain. Nothing as old as what you found but a thrill.