AQUA LUNG or SNUBA????

does anyone know anything about brownies third lung or snuba diving. I am thinking about purchasing one of these snuba or third lung devices. here is a website to see hwat i am talking about http://www.browniedive.com/

does anyone have any info on this device?

DEF

Cadet
Re: AQUA LUNG or SNUBA????

Know some guys out of Gainesville that had a buisiness collecting live rock for aquariums. They called it an octopus. Thats all they ever used.

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Are you a diver and what do you want to use it for.

Bill Adkins

Seaman

Anytime you take a breath of compressed air from a regulater below the surface you need to be educated as a diver. Just in case you arnt a diver it is sound advice. I have used both systems and I find the snuba a bit confining as you are tethered as it were.
Bill

thanks for hte posts guys. I am not a diver but want to start diving. I have never taken any classes and don;t know the first thing about diving. I figured this system would be a neat way to break into diving and since I don't know any divers this is the only system that lets me have a buddy because you don't have to be certified to use it.

I would be using it for lobster and just exploring shallow reefs.

sorry it took so long to respond guys but thanks for the feedback

Buttanic

You don't have to be certified to use tanks either but the issues of diving safely apply equally to either system, The snuba is no safer than any other type of diving equiptment and I highly suggest you get some training before trying either.

Ok. Will take your advice and register for a class here in Miami. I know SOuth beach divers has classes almost every week. Can anyone recommend a reputable dive class or instructor in South Florida?

Another thing I smoke ciggaretts. About 10 a day. Trying to quit, SOmedays I go a full day and only smoke one when I get home. Is there a specific amount of time I have to be off ciggaretts before I start diving. I know diving and smoking do not mix well. BUt Do I have to be clean for a while or something? Or is quitting cold turkey and the next day diving ok?

Buttanic

The effects of smoking would be the same for any physical activity that requires some degree of arobic activity such as running, tennis,etc. Not a deal breaker for diving but certainly not helpful in extending the length time a tank of air will last you, or the ability to maintain heavy exertion in an emergency situation. A good reason to quit.

Frank O

Seaman

Well, not to sound doom and gloom, but smoking raises the possibility that you could have congested areas in your lungs that could cause air trapping. If you ascend even from a relatively shallow dive, it's possible that the expanding air bubbles in your lungs' aveoli might not be able to release safely into your airway and rather could be driven back into the blood stream. From there they can end up in nasty places like the brain. This is an embolism, and is major bad news -- it can cause brain damage or death.

I see an occasional diver smoking out on the bow of a commercial dive boat, but I wouldn't smoke and dive. (But I know how hard it is to quit -- I did 17 years ago. ) If you really, really want to dive while you're still smoking, I'd have a diving-oriented doctor check you out first. And if you detect any wheezing at all when you take in a deep breath and exhale, don't dive!

Thanks for the advice. It's a struggle but I WILL QUIT. buying the gum today..i don't care how expensive it is. Congrats on quitting 17 years ago and not relapsing. That's great to hear.

Gail Wrede

Cadet

Miami said:
Thanks for the advice. It's a struggle but I WILL QUIT. buying the gum today..i don't care how expensive it is. Congrats on quitting 17 years ago and not relapsing. That's great to hear.

I am a commercial diver. And a 1 pack a day smoker. Yes I'd like to quit too! I've been to 327' with no problems. Most of the guys I worked the gulf with were smokers. Never any problems related to that. Hope that helps.

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, there's a few issues with smoking and diving. Trapping air in parts of your lungs and getting an over expansion injury on ascent is one of them and was already mentioned. The other is CO levels in your lungs and bloodstream are much higher. Especially if you smoke shortly before diving. Then compress that to multiple atmospheres of pressure and you now have a bad thing.

Read any dive instruction books and they'll tell you how bad smoking and drinking and diving is. (Then watch all the instructors get off the boat at the end of the day, walk across the pier to the bar, order drinks and light up a few cigarettes.) I usually wait for at least an hour surface interval before having a drink and I don't smoke, but see plenty of others that do.

Regarding snuba, if you go as deep as the tether will let you, inhale all the way and hold your breath and swim to the surface, you now have a major problem. That's why most tourist snuba setups won't let you get more that a couple of feet under water. Any more than that and you'll have over expansion injuries galore.

justin65

Seaman Apprentice

does anyone know anything about brownies third lung or snuba diving. I am thinking about purchasing one of these snuba or third lung devices. here is a website to see hwat i am talking about http://www.browniedive.com/

does anyone have any info on this device?

First of all you need to become an OW1 diver.
That?s Basic scuba certification. It will one day save your life.

In my 17 plus years of diving I have tried them a couple of times. The first time down in the Keys the sob was swamped by a wave, no air at 45 feet down sucked, but because my wife and myself are both experienced divers a 45-foot accent without air was nothing.

The second and last time was on the Santa Fe River where a gator tried to swim off with the raft. After that I never barrowed the unit from my brother in law again and told him to get rid of it and buy real scuba gear.
I?m sure the units have a useful purpose but it?s not my cup of tea. The only thing I would give up my 80?s for or my twin pack for would be a Re-breather.

aerospot

Seaman Apprentice

February 07 we vacationed in the Keys and I did a 'SNUBA' dive. As a non-diver they took their time and instructed us on clearing ears and such.
There were 3 of us on the boat for SNUBA among 4 other SCUBA divers. When we moored the divers took off and we followed instruction into the water and hooked up to the bottle via long hose and harness. Descending down to the bottom around 30' we were stagged one at a time. The last person had issues and never left the surface. But by the time they abandoned her and focused on us, all our air was gone!
Sitting on the bottom there was a light surge and I got queezy waiting. Re-boarding the boat we reached the second location. I was advised not to remain on the boat as I had contemplated so, back down we went.
This second try we descended together and immediately began to travel along the bottom over the reef. I was loving it and thoroughly enjoyed this second dive.
I had inquired about what to do if I got sic and was advised to 'ralph' through the regulator. I came close but managed to keep my cookies until the dive was over and we surfaced. Even with getting sic I was hooked and signed up for SCUBA upon returning home.
Now certified we will again travel to the Keys this July with our 10 year old grandson in tow. My plan is to have him SNUBA while I accompany as a SCUBA diver.

theboatster

Cadet

This is what I use when I need to jump over the side to clear a fouled prop or explore for a bit: RAPID DIVER Scuba System I have the one with the 20 cu ft tank. Very compact and easy to don and doff. Being that it uses compressed air you do need to be a certified diver.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Learn to SCUBA!!!!! I have been a diver since 1963. I also used the SNUBA too. The last few years in N.Ca. I used it to prospect for gold in the Klamath River.Thge only problem is the limited distance you can go.
Keene Engineering has everything to SNUBA.Fair price too!.Jerry