aq170c/270 volvo penta

oregonian

Cadet
Re: aq170c/270 volvo penta

don
the wires from the control to the motor match and they match the colors on the 280 diagram you sent.....however i am going out to pull the control box apart to see if the inside wireing matches the 280 diagram ....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The inside of the box is what I am concerned with at this point.

oregonian

Cadet

dennis

i'm going to open the control box to try and match the wireing to a diagram i have .... there is almost no room to get this control box out , it's quite a job ......definetly would like to see photos
thanks

Don S

Assuming you have the same wiring as the 280, the only thing I see that could cause your problem is the wires that go to the 85 terminal on the left relay (black wire) and the 86 terminal on the right relay (yellow wire) the drawing, have to be reversed.
Just to throw one note about that, is the wires on each relay for 85 and 86 can be reversed and the relay still work.
What I am trying to say here is the ground wire for each relay (black left- yellow right) have to be on the wrong relay, not so much 85 or 86.
Just changing the wires at the up/down switch will not fix it.

It may be a lot easier to work on, if you remove the complete mechanical lift from the transom shield and get it out where you can work on it. The drive itself has nothing to do with how it works electrically.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer

See if this link to my pictures help.
I have a 270.
It matches a 280 instruction manual wiring for a two wire motor, but wire colors are a little different.

The negative wires in these photos are BLUE and BLACK.
You can see a gray connector on the left.
The NEGATIVE from battery ground goes straight to the gray connector, then jumpers to one relay, the UP.
From the gray connector, it jumpers over to the LIMIT SWITCH. Then through the bottom number 2 terminal of the limit switch. from there it goes over to the DOWN relay.

http://s596.photobucket.com/albums/tt50/dennis461/Volvo 270 tilt control/

Just had another thought...
Boating seasons slowing down.
Get the control box off and ship it to me.
I'll fix it up for the postage cost !

oregonian

Cadet

don
i compared the wireing diagram to my control box and wires , it matches the 280 diagram ..except some of the ground wire is blue.......i traced the wires to the up / down switch on the dash and found that someone had installed and wired in a double pole double throw switch..... i don't know how it worked , i rewired the switch useing just one pole and now the lift goes up and down , shuts off when it engages the limit and will now go up when i put the dash switch in the up position... i think the problem is solved and i greatly appreciate all your help..........thanks again

oregonian

Cadet

dennis

my control box is the same as your photos..all wires in side were correct ...someone installed double pole double throw switch which i rewired useing just one pole ........now everything is working properly....up/down/limit switch/and dash light , thanks for your help and photos.....and the offer to fix it.............thanks again

johnb1981

Recruit

Hello all.
I know this is an old thread but i am trying to repair my tilt mechanism and need more info. I have a AQ170a / 270 and my tilt is missing the limit switch. Ill attach some pictures. Im looking for a part number for the switch.

Don S

Welcome to iboats johnb, you should really start a new thread of your own so people can see your question, and not the original posters question.