AQ131A I'm at a loss

Climber513

Seaman
I'm at a loss with my engine. AQ131a will not start. This ran smooth and awesome a few weeks ago in the driveway. Here's what's happened since then.
1. Coil went out - replaced and started up.
2. Starter solenoid went out - replaced and started.
3. Carb issues - in the end swapped with another carb and started.
4. New battery
5. Will not start just cranks, no fire.
6. Replaced plugs, distributor cap, wires, electronic ignition system crane fireball setup.
Still no fire. I have power at the coil. I have power through the coil wire at the cap. I have no spark out of distributor to plugs. Could the distributor itself be bad? Any help would be awesome as it's been one thing after another.

alldodge

Staff member
electronic ignition system crane fireball

Had to look this thing up
Does the LED turn ON when key is turned ON?
Does the light blink when motor is cranking?

kenny nunez

Captain
Is the distributor rotating? In other words are you sure the timing belt is not broken?
Look closely at the starter solenoid and you will see a male spade connection on the outboard side of the solenoid. Make up a #16 wire with a female spade then with a ring terminal on the other end connect it to the + or battery side of the coil. This is the bypass circuit that a lot of Volvo 4 cylinder engines do not have. It provides 12 volts to the distributor when the engine is in cranking mode and helps it start.

alldodge

Staff member
With it blinking then the control box is getting signal from the distributor
Guide says if it blinks and still no spark check or replace coil
https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/crn-6000-6400.pdf

I haven't looked but is this system USCG approved?

You should be able to use a spark gap tester and a jumper wire to test coil. Put 12V on + side, and put jumper on - side of coil. Gap tester on coil output to ground. Quickly strike the jumper to ground, coil should fire

Climber513

Seaman
With it blinking then the control box is getting signal from the distributor
Guide says if it blinks and still no spark check or replace coil
https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/crn-6000-6400.pdf

I haven't looked but is this system USCG approved?

You should be able to use a spark gap tester and a jumper wire to test coil. Put 12V on + side, and put jumper on - side of coil. Gap tester on coil output to ground. Quickly strike the jumper to ground, coil should fire
Not sure about USCG approved. I have the xr700 model ignition. I was wondering if the coil was bad. I'll check that out.

alldodge

Staff member
No signal coming from Dizzy or the module to a dump
or lost power to the module

Climber513

Seaman
Okay update. It fired, kinda. I bypassed the switch on the controls. So after all that mess it's a damn switch on the controls. šŸ¤¦šŸ¤¦

Climber513

Seaman
Had to look this thing up
Does the LED turn ON when key is turned ON?
Does the light blink when motor is cranking?
Okay back to square one. I had it started and now nothing again. No light flashing while cranking over.

kenny nunez

Captain
Check post #3 and ascertain if there is a wire connected between the starter solenoid and the + side of the coil. If not add one.
Is your boat a Bayliner? If it is then there is a very good chance there is no bypass circuit.

Climber513

Seaman
Okay problem solved. Bad ground for the ignition module. She's running nice and smooth now. Thanks for the help.