AQ125B raw water won't pump on land, works fine in water. Air leak in lower unit?

Scott Echo Lake

Recruit
Fresh water boat, so I never ran with hose attachment. Now trying to flush raw water system it won't draw water on land, but works fine while boating. It overheats after 5 or 10 minutes on land, but in the water it cools fine at idle. The impeller was replaced when I bought the boat (a while ago, but maybe only 10 hours of running time). It still looks fine, as well as the impeller housing. It had a slight leak on the back side of the impeller housing, so I replaced the seal and gasket and leak stopped. Checked the hose and ran water back to confirm it was not clogged. Put the lower unit in big bucket and ran it to be sure it was not sucking air at the water intake. If I fill the small tank (thinking maybe I could prime it) I see air being pumped from the impeller, but no water. If I take the cap off of the tank while running in the river water pumps out like crazy. No obvious leaks in the intake hose and pipe system, but it seems to be just sucking air while on land. Tried it with engine tilted up and down, full blast with the hose and as I said in a large bucket with no success. What do I do next? Can it be an air leak in the lower unit, and how can I tell?

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: AQ125B raw water won't pump on land, works fine in water. Air leak in lower unit

Clamp your muffs on so they don't leak and block off the outlet from the raw water pump, then pressurise and check outside and inside the boat for leaks.

Scott Echo Lake

Recruit
Re: AQ125B raw water won't pump on land, works fine in water. Air leak in lower unit

Clamp your muffs on so they don't leak and block off the outlet from the raw water pump, then pressurise and check outside and inside the boat for leaks.

Thanks! I first resealed the water connection on the outdrive. Still no flow with muffs. But in a big bucket I was now getting flow. Then looking at the muff for sale at this site I saw they included a bungie cord. Added a bungie cord and bingo, now I have flow with the muffs! So you were right, "clamp on the muffs" was the last piece I needed . . .

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

On the bottom of the drive in the front.
There is a 1/2 in hole you can't see.
It's a drain.
It needs to be plugged.
A filler tube from a black/blue silicone tube will fit right up in there.
If that 's not it then the yube in the drive needs to be resealed.
http://www.iboatsimages.com/mall/image/view/7/6/5972_0.png
Or the hose connection is bad?#28
Or #23 the assy.needs to be replaced/repaired.

Walt T

Lieutenant

There is a nipple and hose connector on the drive. The nipple and gasket probably need replacing

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

There is a nipple and hose connector on the drive. The nipple and gasket probably need replacing

Where? What parts?Bit more of a description?

Walt T

Lieutenant

270 drive I assume, it is on the bow side of the drive attached to the lower and has a hose going to it. That nipple and gasket are known to go bad.