AQ125A wont fire

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice
I have just recently redone my 84 bayliner. Tried to start it today and nothing...

lets start from the beginning...

bought used and never started it.

threw out the points and condensor and installed a hot spark electronic ignition. The instructions said to hook the black wire to the negative side of the coil, and the red to the positive side of the coil.

coil did not ohm out, so bought an accel coil and installed and hooked it up the same as the old one was.

on the coil I have 3 wires, red (formerly purple to the points) to the positive. Black is on the negative along with another wire (white?). I assume that goes to the tach.

no spark at all, cap and rotor look brand new, and have new plugs....

should there be a +12v from the switch or battery hooked to the coil???

wanting this to get fixed asap!!!! want to take er out on the water...

thanks

-JR-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: AQ125A wont fire

Yes you should have power on the Bt side of the coil when cranking and running. If it cranks run a jumper wirer from the battery and touch the pluse side of the coil ,it should start.if it does not check for spark and timing .

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice
Re: AQ125A wont fire

ok, so thought it was the coil... it wasnt...

found out the new electronic ignition i put in was a piece of junk...

reinstalled points, condensor, original coil... wanted to fire, but nothing, so i jumped a wire from the + side of the coil to the battery and she fired up... so tomorrow I will run a new wire from the switch.

double checked the timing and everything is kosher mechanically. tomorrow i will put a strobe light on it and check it that way... sounds like it is a little retarded right now.

Sprung another leak, this time on the heat exchanger. If I could do away with this coolant system I would.

Also got to adjust the carb a tad.