AQ125A Timing Marks Indistinguishable

HarryReid

Seaman Apprentice
I have a new-to-me AQ125A which has seen the elements.

The timing belt has slipped, due to my own naivety in not running through a thorough set of checks and adjustments after purchasing; the timing belt tensioner needed adjustment.

I need to familiarize myself with the engine and the boat in the unlikely event that something breaks down when I am not at the dock. I intend to replace the timing belt and the tensioner.

Reading the forums here has really encouraged my to post and request the expert advice of this fantastic community forum before I start this job.

1. The workshop manual, step 126, states to "Place the valve cover in position without the gasket." Does this mean I need to remove the cover and scrape off the gasket?

2. The previously mentioned step also states that there is a marking on the valve cover and the pulley; I have not pulled anything off the engine yet, but have manually turned the crankshaft slowly to inspect the camshaft pulley and I do not see a marking on it or the valve cover. Could the markings be masked by the light rust on the pulley? Other than aligning the markings, is there another way to set camshaft for timing at TDC #1?

3. Finally, I suspect that the intermediate shaft timing markings will be impossible to align due to the corrosion. I believe this shaft turns the distributor rotor, as such, would it be okay to turn it so that the rotor points to the #1 spark plug wire?

Dags

Cadet
Re: AQ125A Timing Marks Indistinguishable

1. The workshop manual, step 126, states to "Place the valve cover in position without the gasket." Does this mean I need to remove the cover and scrape off the gasket?

2. The previously mentioned step also states that there is a marking on the valve cover and the pulley; I have not pulled anything off the engine yet, but have manually turned the crankshaft slowly to inspect the camshaft pulley and I do not see a marking on it or the valve cover. Could the markings be masked by the light rust on the pulley? Other than aligning the markings, is there another way to set camshaft for timing at TDC #1?

3. Finally, I suspect that the intermediate shaft timing markings will be impossible to align due to the corrosion. I believe this shaft turns the distributor rotor, as such, would it be okay to turn it so that the rotor points to the #1 spark plug wire?

When lining up the correct positions of all the pulleys, there's a little notch on the top of the valve cover that will line up with a notch on the cam pulley. On the 2nd pulley that runs the distributor, there is a little dot on the outside of the pulley. That needs to line up with a notch on the plate that is located behind that pulley. 3rd, the crank pulley needs to be set on TDC (Top Dead Center). There is a tiny line on that pulley... I use a screwdriver to scratch that notch to make it visible via timing gun. The first pulley to be lined up should be the crank. After that is in line, take on the timing plate and you will have a visual on the 2nd pulley and the notch that needs to be lined up. 3rd, line up the cam pulley. You have to be careful when putting the belt on, the 2nd pulley can easily go off by one click thus no start. Just redid ours this weekend.

Use scotch pad or a wire wheel to clean all your markings. You'll need to pull the impeller (Which I would also open and inspect since it can tear). I had to order a new impeller because of dry rot (Boat hasn't run since '03 because of a stuck valve... father boat, no time to replace and no usage all these years).

HarryReid

Seaman Apprentice

I have the workshop manual and understand almost everything it says; however, I do NOT see the markings on the valve cover or camshaft pulley.

I have removed a lot of the front engine components to get at the old timing belt.

What should I specifically be looking for on the valve cover or the camshaft pulley? Pictures would help and I can certainly take some if that would help.

Really need to get the new timing belt on and put the engine back together.

Dags

Cadet

I have the workshop manual and understand almost everything it says; however, I do NOT see the markings on the valve cover or camshaft pulley.

I have removed a lot of the front engine components to get at the old timing belt.

What should I specifically be looking for on the valve cover or the camshaft pulley? Pictures would help and I can certainly take some if that would help.

Really need to get the new timing belt on and put the engine back together.

There's a little 'pie' notch on the wheel... on the edge. Does the valve cover have a half moon piece of metal attached... right behind the wheel? If so, that should have the same kind of 'pie' notch.. like a small chip. Those should be lined up for TDC for the cam.

HarryReid

Seaman Apprentice

adeneo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is always a notch in the camshaft pulley, and usually a notch in the valve cover or the metal plate behind the pulley.
However not all Penta engines had a notch to set the camshafts position, as it's not really needed.

You start by putting the belt on at the crankshaft pulley first, there's two white lines on the belt that should line up with the markings on the crankshaft pulley.
When the belt is on at the crankshaft pulley, there's one line in the belt for the intermediate shaft, and one line in the belt for the camshaft.
As long the crankshaft pulley and intermediate shaft pulley is lined up correctly with the corresponding markings on the engine, all you have to do on the camshaft pulley is line up the white line on the belt with the notch in the pulley.
When the belt is on all the pulleys, you slip it carefully over the spring loaded tensioner, and release the spring to thighten the belt, fasten the tensioner nut, then turn the engine a little bit clockwise to remove the last slack, then loosen the tensioner nut again to tighten the belt up once more, and finally you thighten the tensioner nut to around 50nm (<-newton, should be just shy of 40 pounds torque or something)

Here's a picture of the pulleys on a B23, a little different but still pretty much the same:
vpregreim2.jpg

HarryReid

Seaman Apprentice

Here are some pictures of the camshaft pulley and valve cover; I found the mark on the locating plate.

Matching up the lines is exactly the advice I needed - thank you!

The next step is to figure out how to access the notches on the crankshaft as some sort of shield is in the way between it and the intermediate shaft.

_DSC0869.JPG

_DSC0868.JPG

_DSC0867.JPG

_DSC0870.JPG

_DSC0871.JPG