Aq125a/270

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased a 84 Bayliner with an aq125a and 270 outdrive.

The motor is in some bad shape and could use some TLC. Does anyone have a service manual for the engine?

Also, I have read several posts about switching over from points to electronic ignition. Can anyone that has done this recommend it? I am thinking about doing the same.

Feel free to check out my other thread in restoration.

Thanks,
Joe

captmello

Captain
Re: Aq125a/270

Also, I have read several posts about switching over from points to electronic ignition. Can anyone that has done this recommend it? I am thinking about doing the same.

A lot of people use switch to electronic ignition, its personal preference. You can buy the kits on Iboats.

I checked out your restoration. Looks like you're coming along great. Be sure to post your engine/drive questions here on the I/O forum.

Don has manuals, perhaps he'll be along with a link.:)

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the manuals!!!

They will come in handy.

Also, thanks for the input about the electronic ignition.

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to convert the 125a to just a fresh water system without the heat exchanger, coolant tank, etc?

I live near Kansas City and will never have the boat in salt water. Thanks in advance.

Joe

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, now I have another question...

I know I may have been rebuilding an engine through the tail pipe, or going around my elbow to get to my *****hole, but here goes.

During my boat restore, I took the engine out, then off came the intermediate housing. next off came the outdrive.

so installation was reversed. Outdrive went on, new bellows, etc... First had to fight the primary shaft back on to the u-joint yoke. But got it on... Mounted the intermediate housing and got it bolted up. Next came the engine. Thought I had the primary shaft in all the way, and bolted the engine to the housing. Everything would be assumed to be ok until i tried to move the outdrive. The outdrive will not go from side to side or up and down...

So after that long spiel, here is my question... where did I screw up? Is the primary shaft not seated fully in the flywheel? Im gonna pull the motor back out tonight and have another peek to see where I went wrong.

Thanks,

Joe

captmello

Captain

During my boat restore, I took the engine out, then off came the intermediate housing. next off came the outdrive.

Your in the wrong order. First you remove the outdrive, or at least the upper gear box. Next You remove the six bolts that hold the clamp ring inside the transun shield, You then remove the engine with the Intermediate housing still attached.

so installation was reversed. Outdrive went on, new bellows, etc... First had to fight the primary shaft back on to the u-joint yoke. But got it on... Mounted the intermediate housing and got it bolted up. Next came the engine. Thought I had the primary shaft in all the way, and bolted the engine to the housing. Everything would be assumed to be ok until i tried to move the outdrive. The outdrive will not go from side to side or up and down...

Well I don't know what your up against now. I'm going to guess that the ujoint is not over the drive shaft and its jambed up in the bellows.

So after that long spiel, here is my question... where did I screw up? Is the primary shaft not seated fully in the flywheel? Im gonna pull the motor back out tonight and have another peek to see where I went wrong.

I'd pull the upper gear box and have a look. If the engine is bolted up tight to the flywheel cover/Intermediate your problem is most likely at the drive.

OMG Joe what are you trying to do. Ruin boating season!!!:eek::eek::rolleyes:;)

Have you read your manuals?

Let me know what you find.

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice

lol... well i am a mechanic, so i just tried to do it without removing anything that didnt need to be...

well i got it figured out... you were right capt... the driveshaft was jammed up. removed the motor, raised up and removed the bellow saw that the driveshaft was jumbled up.

So with the motor out, i got the drive shaft back on, lowered the outdrive, and replaced the motor... works like a charm.

Removing the upper gear box probably would have made everything alot easier, but it can be done without removing it. I will admit that the 6 bolts that hold the bell housing to the transom were a mother to get to, remove and re-install, same with putting in new bellows. But I am known for going through the exhaust to replace the radiator cap :)

I did read the manuals, but that was after removing everything...in the future I will consult them first. (typical isnt it?)

Well, thanks for all the help with everything, now the restoration must go on...

Im sure I will continue on with some more engine questions once I finish the interior and get to tuning up the engine.

Thanks again.