aq125/270 outdrive NO REVERSE

LVT

Cadet
I was happly boating along yesterday and everything was fine, I stopped to read a magazine and wait to pick the little lady up at the dock. when I went to restart the boat started very hard and when it did start it was in gear:eek:

I have no nuetral and no reverse ( I dont understand how it even started ,isnt there a nuetral safty swich?).

I took the controler apart, everything seemed fine.
when I try to put in reverse, I do not feel any resistance or feel that little thunk I have always felt before.

boat is a bayliner capri with an aq125a and a 270 outdrive.

any ideas about how to fix this? can it be fixed on the water?

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: aq125/270 outdrive NO REVERSE

had a similar prob while on the lake. I had stopped to float for a bit, then started back up and shifted into reverse to avoid shore. Then found that I couldn't go forward.

The input linkage into the outdrive had lost a cotterpin and come loose, so the shift cable was doing nada. I was able to shift it into forward while in the lake after removing the shift cover, and get back to the ramp.

The saftey switch is in the helm control not the drive so it would not know.

good luck,

neil

LVT

Cadet

Thanks Neil,

is the input linkage accesable from inside the boat.

I wont get back to the lake to look at it again till the weekend. as I recall the shift cable goes into a larger black sleeve that seems to be crimped onto the outdrive, does it then go through to the outside of the boat.

I guess what I am asking is ,is that linkage inside or outside of the boat?

captmello

Captain

The linkage and cable end are in the outrdrive. They are behind the large cover on back of the outdrive. Just takes a phillips screwdriver to remove. take out the lower bolt, and just loosen the upper bolt to remove. This could be checked with the outdrive tilted up, in the water.

Attachments

• Volvo275outdriveshiftcover.jpg
    Volvo275outdriveshiftcover.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1

LVT

Cadet

Nope, It was not the cotter pin, but is a broken cable at the helm end.

so I wrote down the numbers and will now try to find a replacement.

should this just slide right into place, no muss no fuss, or is there a trick?

should i start at the stern and work it foreward or go from the helm to the stern?

and where can I look for these?

thanks in advance

Doc

captmello

Captain

I picked up my new shift cable right here on iboats. You just have to determine the length of the cable. What are the numbers?

LVT

Cadet

the numbers are D32377-003-0156.0

I assume that the 0156 indicats that its 13 feet long.

does this need to be a volvo part or are they all similar in design?

and also do I just unhook the end and pull the cable through?

Can This also be done on the water?

captmello

Captain

http://www.iboats.com/3300-Xtreme-Control-Cable-13-Teleflex-Marine/dm/*******.639974290--session_id.577993498--view_id.169422

I'm pretty sure this is the cable. Look at the picture to confirm it has the same threaded connectors at both ends as your boat has.

I would install starting at the helm and work back. There is a sleeve the cable goes though at the transom shield and then is held on by a small bracket on the bow side of the outdrive. That bracket will be the toughest part to do in the water, but I could see it being done. The bracket is number 35 in this link and is held in by two small bolts, easy to drop in the water!

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Intermediate-Housing-Drive-270/dm/*******.639974290--session_id.577993498--store_id.366--view_id.784589

Once the bracket is removed, along with the extra hardware at the end of the cable under the shift cover, the old cable should pull out of the outdrive and out through the sleeve by the motor. feed the new cable through the sleeve and into the hole in the outdrive, replace bracket securing the cable, and reattach the ends.

Let us know how it goes.:)

LVT

Cadet

Thanks again CaptMello,

I just ordered the cable from iboats..Hope it comes in by the end of the week. I can see that bracket being difficult, I just wanna "get er done" (Thats the name of my boat LOL) before the water gets to cold.

thanks again, i will be in touch

LVT

Cadet

You were right, it can be done on the water but what a PITA!! I finaly got smart and used a small allen wrench as a feeler to line up the holes.
now she shifts smoother, I think I will replace the throttle cable now as well.

Thanks for the help
Doc

captmello

Captain

Glad to hear you got it installed!! Now on to the next thing...:rolleyes: