aq 171 c rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blkrider17

Cadet
Looking for advice im new to boating and I have a volvo penta aq 171 c and seems i cant find parts anywhere now i have a motor that has bent valves and needs a rebuild now I was wondering should i rebuild this motor and what would it cost? or should I go with a bigger motor (350) and where could I find a complete 350 and is this a hard task?

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: aq 171 c rebuild?

The VP AQ 171C (or A) was Volvo Penta's last "real" Volvo engine based on a Volvo car engine (everything since is essentially based on GM blocks).
It is a GREAT engine when it runs, but due to limited number of engines out there, parts are hard(er) to find, and many times horribly expensive (I did not know this when I bought mine, but knock on wood, it's been running fine so far), compared to its simpler sibling, the VP AQ 151 (SOHC) or earlier engines.

The head, timing belt, tensioner, valves, water pump, ignition, are all unique to this engine. Very few automotive parts can be used. The exhaust manifold cost somewhere just south of $2,000, or more than a set of manifolds for a V6 or V8.

Short, it is a pricey little power plant (but was really a modern one when it came out, and sort of still is today with its DOHC and truly electronic ignition w/o points and preprogrammed set-points for different rpms). For its power, it is fairly fuel efficient.

Should I start over, I would likely look at a kit with a VP V8 or V6, or (of course) go with a diesel.

All that said, if you want some AQ171C information, I probably have a fair amount, and also lots of photos of both my set-up and a few over in Scandinavia (more of these engines there, but still not many...). Can of course share.

For 350 information, many here on iboats are true experts. They will chime in.

Last edited:

blkrider17

Cadet

So where can I find valves and rods for this motor? Im prob gonna pull the motor and rebuild it but I cant find the parts for the motor.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

So where can I find valves and rods for this motor? Im prob gonna pull the motor and rebuild it but I cant find the parts for the motor.

Just a wild guess... Did the timing belt break?

If you haven't pulled the head yet, you may be in for a rude awakening. The head may be trashed, and the piston's may be bashed. :(

After a full tear down, I would be adding the price of all the still available parts up (notice I said still available, some may not be), along with costs to do the machine work.

Compare that to the cost of finding a donor boat with a complete working engine and drive system (something with a Chevy V6 or V8), and keep in mind like it's been said before, new parts are getting scarce and expensive for this engine. It would surely bite if you got the 171 back together, only to find out that 3 years from now it did need that 2000 dollar manifold...

Good Luck!

blkrider17

Cadet

ok I think I found a motor (350) now my drive is a 290 will I need to channge drives to link up to that motor?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

ok I think I found a motor (350) now my drive is a 290 will I need to channge drives to link up to that motor?

The lower unit in your 290 (duo-prop?) will need to be changed to one set up with a V8 gear ratio. Several other things will need to be changed as well. Motor mounts. Flywheel cover. Exhaust down tubes, etc, etc. This is why it is recommended that while doing an engine swap, you get a donor boat with the whole package (pulleys to prop as Bond-o likes to say) rather than chasing many used parts. You may be able to re-coup some of the costs too, by selling all the stuff you didn't use off the donor, and any of the rare 171 parts off the old engine that may still be in serviceable shape.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You will need to change the outdrive gear ratio to a 1.68. Going from a 4 cyl to a V8 will be too big a difference to even think about just changing props. You also need to be sure the transom shield will accept the Y pipe for a V8. You need 2 exhaust relief ports

blkrider17

Cadet

If I go with another 4 cylinder engine ( aq 125) do you think the boat will be under powered? Boat measures 23' open bow

yengis

Recruit

EDIT: Please use the PM function for personal transactions, not the forums.

See forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.