Approximate towing weight 1998 Sunbird 17

cloudix

Cadet
From what I can gather, a Sunbird 17 1998 vintage bowrider with Volvo-Penta sterndrive weighs 2290lbs. The boat is on a single axle original Sunbird trailer. Guessing at something like 400-500lb? Say 2750lb unloaded. My daughters boat, but we may have to move it somewhere this Fall.
We have a 2019 Subaru Outback that has 3500lb towing capability. Should just be OK, but we have a light Class 2 hitch with 1 1/4" draw bar (used for bike rack).

In theory Ok. But what do you think?

briangcc

Commander
That's a manufacturer's published weight or off a weight scale?

Cause if its the manufacturer's published weight...that's dry. No batteries, gas, or other equipment - fire extinguishers, life jackets, anchors, ropes, paddles, etc. All that "stuff" weighs something - there isn't a free ride.

The trailer is probably more in the 700-800 range without the spare tire.

Just a WAG...you're close if not over your tow rating on the Subie.

I'd have your daughter tow it to the weight scale then subtract off her tow vehicle's weight. That'd give you the actual towed weight. You might be surprised at how much you're actually going to tow....especially if the boat is water logged.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
2290# dry
200# fuel
400# gear
750# trailer

At or above the subie limit

As Brian stated, get a scale weight

jbcurt00

Staff member
Is the Subaru 3500lb include gear, people & fuel IN the Subaru? My Ford Escape & both Kia Sorentos limit included weight IN the tow vehicle, not just the towed load.

It's a 24yr old boat, it probably weighs more now then it did factory fresh at 2290lb if Scott's # is correct

Check it here

cloudix

Cadet
The trailer is probably more in the 700-800 range without the spare tire.
The trailer as best as I can determine is 780lb. So you are right!
Is the Subaru 3500lb include gear, people & fuel IN the Subaru? My Ford Escape & both Kia Sorentos limit included weight IN the tow vehicle, not just the towed load.
You are probably seeing GVWR .
The Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) must never exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR).
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is the combined total of the weight of the vehicle,
driver, passengers, luggage, trailer hitch, trailer tongue load and any other optional equipment installed on your vehicle.

After checking my Outback manual, I found that the towing capacity for our 2019 2.5LTD is only 2700lb :( I previously had seen the 3500lb, but that is likely for model with turbo engine.

We have 2290 boat, 780lb trailer, 70lb gas, 40lb battery, 10lb odds & ends. 3190 total. (By the way, our boats are only in water for about 5 months. Winters very dry, so boats don't increase in weight much.)

May be able to move boat around yard or very short distance with Outback, but no serious towing! Daughter has Cherokee with something like 4500lb capacity, so she can move it when time comes.

briangcc

Commander
I think you may be confused over the term waterlogged. Over time, the foam in the boat absorbs and retains moisture which can add several hundred pounds of weight to a boat. Generally due to either poor storage, neglect, or just plain bad craftsmanship by the manufacturer.

Doesn't necessarily relate to the amount of time its tied to a dock. But leaving it uncovered and allowing the bilge to pump the rain water out can contribute to waterlogging the foam.

The boat in question is 24 years old. It's a fairly safe bet the boat is heavier than when it left the factory floor.

cloudix

Cadet
I think you may be confused over the term waterlogged.
I have owned boats for at least 60 years here in Canada. Also owned and operated a marine business for 27 of those years. I do get confused about a lot of things at my age, not this ;)

Hard to imagine how water would be absorbed into 'foam'. If you mean in cored hull, it should be closed cell foam encased in fibreglass and gelcoat (if there is any foam at all) and cannot absorb water.

On these crap boats, I suppose some rain water might be absorbed into wood and carpets if left uncovered. And a miniscule amount into hull by osmosis.

I am done with this boat anyway. Just want it out of here. Only had it here to look at engine problem.

briangcc

Commander
I would suggest a stroll through the resto forum right here on iboats. Look for the ones that are along the lines of "I have a soft spot in the floor and..."

It'll illustrate that foam does suck up a bunch of water and the results. Hence waterlogged foam.

An example...

Post 28 & 29.

It's not manufacturer specific, it happens on them all. SeaRay, Stingray, Bayliner, Chap, etc. And its not just glass - Starcraft, Crestliner, Sylvan, etc.

cloudix

Cadet
No idea why there would be blocks of water absorbing foam in any boat's bilge.

I wouldn't have one of these boats as a gift. Especially the ones with IO drives. In fact the one I have been posting about was just offered to me free. But I definitely don't want it. I am quite capable of rebuilding the engine and doing other needed repairs. But thankfully daughter has found someone who will give her about the value of the used trailer! It will soon be gone and I won't have to worry about towing it!