Apecial Tool to rebuild carburetor

Dennis1958

Seaman
I'm reading my manual to rebuild my 1996 48hp Evnirude and it says I need an Orifice Driver part # 317002 to replace the carburetor drain plug. Where can I get this tool and is there a substitute that will do the trick? Do I have to remove this plug to rebuild my carbs?I think I have to rebuild the carbs because of low rpm at WOT . This boat has been setting for 2 years so Im assuming this is the possible reason for low speed at WOT.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Apecial Tool to rebuild carburetor

it's a little skinny screw driver. johnson/evinrude dealer should have it. on make your own.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you want to post your e-mail address, I'll send you a detailed picture of how to make one.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

To access the jets, I started with a somewhat larger screwdriver so that the tip would fit the slot in the jet tightly. Then I just ground down the sides of it (Just made it a little skinnier) on a bench grinder so it would fit through the access hole. To remove the welsh plugs, I just use a small pick and tap it in and then pry out the plug..

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The plug itself is removed with a screwdriver. The tool is for the jets.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Most shade tree's get by without removing the jets. Unless it's gunked up beyond belief, it's not necessary. Mine sat 12 years and I didn't remove the jets to rebuild and it's just fine. Get an aerosol can or two of carb cleaner and spray into the orifices, then blow out with compressed air. Run a copper wire down where you can if necessary. Repeat until can is empty.