ANZAC Day

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Tomorrow we celebrate ANZAC Day in New Zealand and Australia. (Australia New Zealand Allied Corps) A lot of us lost relatives through the wars and we collectively remember them on this day. As the quote says, "At the rising and the setting of the sun, we will remember...."<br /><br />Sadly I'm working night shift tonight, but to all Kiwis and Australians out there, there's one Kiwi thinking of our relatives who fell....<br />Ross

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer
Re: ANZAC Day

Here's a Yank that remembers those brave men as well. You Kiwis & Austrailians have a heritage to be proud of and I'm proud to have served side by side with some of you (post WWII). <br />Backlash

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you backlash,<br />our day rounded out with heaps of rain. It looks like it's set in for a couple of days. <br /><br />There's a belief that if it rains on important days then the gods are crying..... rather appropriate for ANZAC Day I think.....<br />Ross

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For those not familiar with the term ANZAC and "ANZAC Day", the term stands for the legendary "Australian and New Zealand Army Corps" which made its fateful operational debut on the beaches of Gallipoli on 25 April 1915 (ANZAC day) during the 1st World War. <br /><br />The ANZACs were given the most impossible and ill concieved task of landing on and attacking a very heavily defended beach front at Gallipoli. Despite the amazing bravery of the troops, they were literally slaughtered in the process by the defenders' well dug-in machine guns.<br /><br />New Zealand suffered 7500 casualties including 2721 dead (one in four who landed). Australia suffered 26000 casualties including 8000 dead.<br /><br />Nevertheless, the fighting at Gallipoli was said to be less murderous than that on the Western Front, where most of the surviving Australians and New Zealanders were sent after Gallipoli. <br /><br />For us, ANZAC day is now a day of rememberance for all our fallen soldiers of that war and others since.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Thought I would bring this one back from the dead. There is a post from the last couple of days that deals with this and I thought it was neat that 2 years ago it was said then. Can anybody tell that I'm bored? Rain for two days here :confused:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I remember the stories my Grandfather told me about the aussies in Gallipoli.It was the Australian cavalry that had the last succesful light horse charge in army history in 1917 at Be-er Sheva in what was then called Palestine.It may cheer you up to know that the graves of the fallen Australians there, are well tended and do receive flowers each year.