ANZAC Day :25 April

Kiwi Phil

Commander
On Sunday, we comemorate 25th April with what we call ANZAC Day. <br />That stands for "Australian and New Zealand Army Corp".<br />The 25 April is the day this Corps (along with Brit Army) attempted to invade Turkey at a place called Gallipoli, in the Darnanelles.<br />It was a disaster and the loss of life so great it bought the countries of Australia and New Zealand together to name their forces "ANZAC's", and that name has just become stronger over the years. <br />ANZAC day became the day we remember our dead..<br />Anyway, on Sunday, every little town across both countries will have a dawn service; followed by a mid morning service to commerorate their dead, and show appreciation to those that survived.<br />Returned Servicemen march in an organised parade, (well...the parade is organised, but not sure of the participants), residents line the streets and clap as we go by. Schools and every other community organisation march in the parade too.<br />When we get to the Returned Servicesmens Club, there is a service. <br />After that, for our small group, my wife takes a photo (and always says, "just in case we are one short next year" :p ) and then it is into the club where we spend the next 6 hrs downing cold sherbitts, and wipe the dust off the old b/s stories. <br />Our wives collect us around 6pm, take us home, put us to bed, clean up any nasty's, and that's it for another year.<br />Our group consists of 2 Grunts, 2 Medics, 1 Sapper, 1 Driver, 1 Spotter Pilot.<br />Every year, we take turns during the march to say loudly, "Geez, you can still tell an Occifer by the way he marches"<br />My kid marches with his school and wears his Great-Granfathers medals.(on R side) G/G lost his R arm from the shoulder at the Somme. <br />My wife is an organiser with the school so wears her Uncles medals (on right hand side too) but he was a KIA, so she has a beautiful cross that in WWII was issued to all NOK, that is worn around the neck, called the Memorial Cross. He was also decorated. (The WWII veterans all give her a nod and quick smile when they see those. It is quite airy.)<br />Anyway in our family (wifes and mine) 3 grandparents served in WW1.All 3 wounded. In WW2 we had 1 Tank Comd, (KIA), 1 Sigs, 1 FAO, 1 RAF Bomber pilot, 1 RAF Mosquito pilot, 1 Fleet Air Arm pilot, 1 Flying Boat Nav. All were conscripted. None stayed in after the shows closed down.<br />None were English.<br />Anyway, I guess this little part of Australia that I live in is no different from the small towns or suburbs you guys too live in, and we probably all do the same things in the same way. Just have different names for them.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: ANZAC Day :25 April

G'Day, KP.<br /><br />We in the US celebrate Memorial Day at the end of May to honor our war dead and Veterans' Day in November to honor all who serve or have served.<br /><br />The tragic campaign at Gallipoli is well known here, and ANZACs are known to be among the most heroic troops.<br /><br />Thanks for the history. :)

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Kiwi Phil,<br /><br />Thanks for the history and the accounting of the days events. I am touched by the account of the Great-Grandson marching in his GG stead.<br /><br />I have read about Gallipoli and the unexpectedly fierce resistence put up by the Turks.<br /><br />Take care,<br />Parrott_head

SoulWinner

Commander

God bless you Kiwi Phil, and all of your family. The world is made better by warriors. The bravery of your family, and their sacrifices are truly appreciated around the free world.

18rabbit

Captain

“Gallipoli” is one of those words that can’t be said without immediate invoking a physical response inside the chest that touches all the way up to the backs of the eyeballs.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good on you Kiwiphill. Our family will be thinking of you on Sunday, we'll be there.......<br />We've all got our Poppies ready too.....<br />Ross

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Kiwi,<br />Yes, I've read about the battle at Gallipoli. I believe the Brits, Aussies and NZ were pinned down in a low position next to the rocky shore. Turks had higher position. It was pretty brutal from what I read. <br /><br />We wish you the best on your day of rememberance.<br />-Joe

Link

Rear Admiral

Thanks I didn't know about ANZAC Day. Great to hear about your family's service to your country. <br /><br />Link

crab bait

Captain

wow,, another year gone by..<br /><br />remember well the past years one-of-our-kiwi friends would post about this historical day..<br /><br />THANKS AGAIN..

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Kiwiphil,<br />We had a great day for ANZAC Day. Our daughter has been home with us these past 2 weeks and on Sunday we celebrated her birthday (26 on 25th) and went to a concert where she was guest soloist singing a number of WW2 favourite songs and some special New Zealand songs.<br />This was with the backing of a 50 voice choir.<br />Olivia was the singer for the All Blacks and NZ National Anthem at last years Rugby World Cup in Australia.<br />Her brother rang her from London where he is living at present so we all had a lovely day.<br />ANZAC Day is always special for us as a family.<br />We have been to many dawn parades over the years to pay our thanks to those who served during those wars.<br />My Dad is ex NZ Navy and was lucky to survive a Jap torpedo in WW2.<br /><br />Regards to all<br /><br />Peter