anyway to check water pump b4 instal?

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman
hey i just got a pump kit and there are two lil rounded pieces that i cant figure out where they go. also is there any way to see if the pump is doing what its supposed to do without putting the gear case back on?<br /><br />thx again <br /><br />Steve

Walker

Captain
Re: anyway to check water pump b4 instal?

Two lil round pieces??? Can you give a better description. Didn't the kit come with instructions?

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

nope no instructions. they are like a 1/4 inch long and wide one side is curved other is flat. one piec is black one is white. now is there any way for me to check the pump b4 i install it? is the impeller supposed to turn or sumthing?<br /><br />Steve

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

Nope..sorry!..ya cant test it without putin it back tugather...!<br /><br />Put it on uh garden hose..If it stays cool it wrorks..if it overheats..it dont work..Haha!<br /><br />Ok..Ok...! I know its uh pain...when ya wana go fishin and stuff...BUT..ya gota do it.<br /><br />(those who have no shoes..should consider those that have no feet)...It can awlways get worse!

ob

Admiral

Those 1/4 round pieces are the impeller fiber keys.Got to have one of them in between the impeller hub and the driveshaft for the pump to work.To determine which one of them fits your application,position the impeller on the driveshaft with the ovaled section of the impeller hub aligned with the flat of the driveshaft.Compare the clearance with the two keys provided.Only one of them will fit right.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

To add to ob's advice.....the large part of the key should point in the direction of the drive shaft rotation...clockwise. If this is a OEM kit, the impeller will only fit over the key one way.<br /><br />Keep us posted. Thanks.

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

ok one more thing my kit came with i think 4 seals, one big one for the housing seal,one medium one for between impeller and housing, one bushing thing for the lil water tube, and it came with a small one that fits around the driveshaft somewhere, where does the driveshaft one go?

ob

Admiral

If your waterpump kit is the OMC kit ,it is supplied with two driveshaft "o" rings.One is for engines thru 1988 model and the other is for engines 1989-1992.Later designs don't use an "o" ring.I believe the smaller of the two "o"rings is for applications thru 1988.The larger one is for 89' - 92'.

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

ok i got a 79 so i use the smaller where does it go? second im havin trouble with that darn key can u explain it a lil more. <br /><br />Steve

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> ok<br /> in this order<br /> install the gasket to the lower making sure all 4 holes line up. will only fit one way<br /> next install the plate with the inlet fwd and all 4 holes lining up. will only fit one way.next slide the thicker of the quater sized orings down the shaft.<br />next glue the white plastic drive key on the flat with a dab of super weatherstip adhesive or OMC adhesive M.make sure the thin tapered edge is to facing the direction of rotation. the drive key works on a wedge setup. next assemble the housing. install the silver dollar sived oring in the groove at the top of the housing <br /> install the insert cup into the housing. now wipe the cup ID with dishwashing soap. now carefully look at the impeller. you will note oneside is closed the other is opened so the impeller can slide over the shaft. you will also note that the impeller has a grove for the peviously mentioned oring. holding the housing in your left hand and the cup facing you install the impeller with a counter clockwise rotating motion. make sure the cut out side faces away from the housing. make sure all the vanes trail the next. set the drive key area to the side of the housing. now install the large housing oring with a bit of glue. now rotate the shaft so that when you bring the housing assy down the drive key will line up. sometimes you will have to hold the key in with an icepick. while rocking the shaft.<br /> once the assymbly is bolted on, place the water tube sleeve in place. next bring the plastic guide down and secure it with 2 screws. next the housing seal down the shaft and set in place at the top of the housing. lastly the rubber plug looking thing with a 1/4" hole in it goes down the shift rod if used. now your done :) :) my wasnt that easy :) <br /> good luck and keep posting

ob

Admiral

Your impeller should have an undercut on one side of the hub for the "oring".The "o" is placed on the top of the impeller hub before installing the housing.There should also be an "o" ring between the impeller housing cup and the impeller housing.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Guys....don't OEM kits come with instructions???? Just curious cause everytime I open one it has instructions. Maybe he ain't got the OEM kit???

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

hey i just read box and in small print it says its a sierra? so is it same install as rodbolt said??? srry i seem so stupid bout this but first time, no instruction,diffrent style housing, and a dirty as hell motor dosnt help. please let me know soon i got to get it done today<br /><br />Steve

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yeah SS....follow rodbolts instructions. The after market Sierra parts will fit the same as OEM parts.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> some of the AP/sierra kits dont use the oring under the impeller. other than that its the same. good luck and make sure you set the shift rod height as per the manual.