Anyone with a coastguard license?

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice
Engine or pilots? I'm going through the GLMA like I said in my intro post, and I was wondering if anyone else has a coast guard license (we're talking merchant marine here folks just in case you were wondering).

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Anyone with a coastguard license?

What would you like to know. I've got my Captain's for 250 gross and under with a towing endorsement.

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice

Nothing in particular, I was just kinda polling the place. Although I'd be interested in knowing how the different pilots licenses work, like, for getting licensed for a certain gross tonnage and stuff.

Drowned Rat

Captain

It's all based on your resume of hours as to how much tonnage you can pilot. There is a simple formula that takes into consideration the gross tonnage of boats you have piloted and how many hours you have underway. Your limit generally goes up every 5 years when you re-certify. Have you taken your test yet?

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice

Oh god no. This is my first year at the Academy. I'll be doing my first sea project this summer, althought I have a few days going for me (our training ship actually gets us 1.5 days per day we are out). I won't be writing for my license untill ~ 2007, Heck, I'm still waiting to get my MMD, just did the fingerprinting this past week.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Well good luck. It's a tough test, but you'll be well prepared I'm sure. :)

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice

Well, 100% of the graduates have gotten their license up to this point - mind you that a few people drop out as time goes on though. My dad actually went to GLMA, graduated in 87, got his license (which is setting on the entertainment center) but he never actually sailed.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I went in the Coast Guard in 87 and got my license in 93. I was at a search and rescue station that whole time so it took awhile to get enough hours. I worked for Sea Tow for a few years out of Freeport,NY. Lots of fun. Second busiest Sea Tow in the country next to Miami. :)

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice

You have any experience with a place called Tidewater by any chance? They aren't strictly towing, but they do stuff relating to offshore drilling and the such.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I have heard of them but don't know anything about them. Aren't they mostly in the Gulf?

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice

I guess they have offices in a few places around the globe, but yeah, they are based out of Louisiana.