Anyone use rechargable High capacity NiMH D cells?

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I love my NiMH AA batteries in all my electronics. The 2500 mAH are really nice. I went to look at D-Cells to see if I could save some money on them in the long run.

The the NiMH D-cells from Eveready are only 2500 mAH just like the AA Cells so they are not worth it. I went out on the internet and found an expensive charger and D-Cells that are 11,000 mAH. Since a regular alkaline D-cell is around 12,000 mAH, I think these should work good in high drain devices. I know they will lose charge while sitting, but this charger will trickle charge them so they are ready to go.

My question is, has anyone here used these and are they worth it. From my calculations, my break even on buying the charger and batteries vs. alkaline would be about 100 alkaline batteries. I would then have around 200 to 600 more charging cycles for free. Since my fish finder takes 8 Ds, my portable boat lights take 4 Ds, my flashlight takes 4 Ds, I think it would be worth it as long as they work ok and as long as I have an emergency set of Ds for the ones that sit in the emergency kit.

Also, the charger will charge my AAAs and AAs.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-mh-c808m-battery-charger.htm

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Anyone use rechargable High capacity NiMH D cells?

You'll find that they last a LOT longer than alkalines in most things. Most alkaline D batteries are rated at around 18,000 mah; however, that is only at about a 25ma drain. When you go up to 1 amp, which is much more realistic, you only get about 3,000 mah.

NiMh, on the other hand, should still provide close to their full rating, even with a 10+ amp draw.

The energizer NiMh D batteries are actually just their AA batteries inside a big plastic can. You can buy adapters just like this for your AA batteries to use them in place of a D...some even let you use three in parallel for 7,500+ mah.