anyone use fishing line?

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
ok so my boat cover needs to be restitched. i have tried normal thread but no luck just breaks. i am using a singer 15=91 sewing machine. i am thinking on using monofilament line. anyone ever try this? how does the upper needle and line grab the bobbin line? the fabric is lighter then tent canvas. but canvas i do believe. will this work?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Mono won't last, will rot in the sun in a couple years.
There are a few guys on here that do upholstery work, they will stere you toward the right stuff.

Otherwise, I would try something like PowerPro. 10-20# test.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
Mono won't last, will rot in the sun in a couple years.
There are a few guys on here that do upholstery work, they will stere you toward the right stuff.

Otherwise, I would try something like PowerPro. 10-20# test.
well i tried to use it . the mono. but its just bound up my bobbin carrier. so i wont try that again. anything else? if i go another route it will cost me 200 to get it restiched. wich i dont have.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
It’s been a long time but I remember my canvas guy used a special thread.As I recall it was called goretex??

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like you need to use heavier thread, or lighten the tension on the thread. I use bonded polyester thread. V92 size. I also have a larger machine. It all depends what size thread your machine can handle and needle size snd type. Big box sewing stores may not offer heavier threads. They cater to home seamstress.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There is Teflon thread. It's $135 a pound

However standard poly is what most companies use

fatlenny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Why wouldn't a heavy braided fishing line work? I mean I think it is a waste of money but if you are looking for alternatives to doing it, well try that. Or ditch the sewing machine path and stich it by hand. Thats how it was done prior to sewing machines.

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Aren't you suppose to replace the line on your reel because it deteriorates over time? I don't know how to sew, that's why I have a sewing machine. They're very handy. Polyester thread is UV resistant.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
ok so my boat cover needs to be restitched. i have tried normal thread but no luck just breaks. i am using a singer 15=91 sewing machine. i am thinking on using monofilament line. anyone ever try this? how does the upper needle and line grab the bobbin line? the fabric is lighter then tent canvas. but canvas i do believe. will this work?
Contact sail right for there advice on the heaviest thread your machines needle can sew. There are plenty of high grade UV threads fir your needs.

thread is rated by weight and what it’s made from. I have been sewing boat covers since the mid 80s and had threads last 25 years. Usually the fabric gives out before the thread. Mono Fishing line if you can get it to feed through your machine is bad news for the canvas as it literally cuts through it over time. Braided fishing line is not really round it will feed with inconsistent tension.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
Contact sail right for there advice on the heaviest thread your machines needle can sew. There are plenty of high grade UV threads fir your needs.

thread is rated by weight and what it’s made from. I have been sewing boat covers since the mid 80s and had threads last 25 years. Usually the fabric gives out before the thread. Mono Fishing line if you can get it to feed through your machine is bad news for the canvas as it literally cuts through it over time. Braided fishing line is not really round it will feed with inconsistent tension.
thank you all for the replies. i will find something and report back when i do. so far i have used very low quality thread (dollar store crap) first foot or so was awesome , coulda kept goin but the thread snapped. had it set at 30 stitches. i might continue on with it as long as i can .

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
well here i am reporting back, i read on another forum that hot glue does wonders on seams. , so as i am unable to afford any thread right now. i decided to give the ole hot glue a try. will let you know how it worked out tommorow when its dry.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
doubt hot glue will work, iron on patches dont work on boat canvas

Years ago I bought a "heavy duty" thread at Joanne Fabrics. I was using it to stitch together a rip in an old boat cover. I still use it today. Just go into a fabric store and tell them what you need. Those ladies know their stuff.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
well im happy to give an update with pictures. for the nay sayers . wont name any names .lol hot glue actually does work! 8+ hours and still not pulling apart. cover is stretched to its limits . seams are holding together no problems at all with this hot glue. below are before pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1690.JPG
    IMG_1690.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1691.JPG
    IMG_1691.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
  • IMG_1693.JPG
    IMG_1693.JPG
  • IMG_1694.JPG
    IMG_1694.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1695.JPG
    IMG_1695.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
well im happy to give an update with pictures. for the nay sayers . wont name any names .lol hot glue actually does work! 8+ hours and still not pulling apart. cover is stretched to its limits . seams are holding together no problems at all with this hot glue. below are before pics.
and here is the after pics of that same cover with the seams hot glued together.

Attachments

• IMG_1702.JPG
    IMG_1702.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1703.JPG
    IMG_1703.JPG
  • IMG_1704.JPG
    IMG_1704.JPG

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I would recommend upholstery thread or carpet thread. Carpet thread is too heavy for my current machine, but it is stronger. Neither will rot quickly, and should last the life of your repair. Both are avail wherever thread is sold (walmart, Joanne's...).

and here is the after pics of that same cover with the seams hot glued together.
I wasn't one of the nay-sayers but I will caution that the hot glue may do alright if this is a storage cover. If it's for trailering as well, you may want to reinforce it with some stitches. The flapping from highway wind can rip most things apart.