Anyone tried a wireless transom trim switch?

Homerr

Commander
Mercruiser Alpha One, Gen 2:

So after crawling in/out of the boat a million times while working on the drive, I think it's time to finish one of my longer projects and install a transom trim switch. It would sure come in handy when working on the drive or the occasional 'oops' at the dock when you forget to raise the drive (don't lie.. everyone has done this at least once! LOL) :) . In the event you do forget, it would be nice to raise the drive from the dock. No need to get wet or crawl in the boat.

Installing a simple momentary switch is easy enough aside from drilling a hole somewhere to mount the switch or panel, but it got me thinking... why not a wireless type instead? No holes to drill, very little wiring and no need to waterproof. I use similar generic wireless relays for various projects like garage door openers and lighting. They work great. I've never used one on a trim pump though.

I'm thinking a wireless winch controller or another generic wireless relay. Has anyone tried this? In the end it's just a momentary on/off, in/out switch, so I don't see why it shouldn't work? All you need to do is activate the trim pump relay so it should be easy?

Unless there's something I'm missing?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You already turned off the battery switch, so you have to climb back into the boat anyway.

doh.gif

Put a failsafe on/off switch on your remote so you don't accidentally activate the tilt.

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Mercruiser Alpha One, Gen 2:

So after crawling in/out of the boat a million times while working on the drive, I think it's time to finish one of my longer projects and install a transom trim switch. It would sure come in handy when working on the drive or the occasional 'oops' at the dock when you forget to raise the drive (don't lie.. everyone has done this at least once! LOL) :) . In the event you do forget, it would be nice to raise the drive from the dock. No need to get wet or crawl in the boat.

Installing a simple momentary switch is easy enough aside from drilling a hole somewhere to mount the switch or panel, but it got me thinking... why not a wireless type instead? No holes to drill, very little wiring and no need to waterproof. I use similar generic wireless relays for various projects like garage door openers and lighting. They work great. I've never used one on a trim pump though.

I'm thinking a wireless winch controller or another generic wireless relay. Has anyone tried this? In the end it's just a momentary on/off, in/out switch, so I don't see why it shouldn't work? All you need to do is activate the trim pump relay so it should be easy?

Unless there's something I'm missing?
Mercruiser makes a wired version. Have had on / added to all my boats and they work without a hitch.

Never seen a wireless one. I would imagine you could get something like to work fairly easily, but there would be a parasitic power drain on the batteries for that to be operational.

briangcc

Commander

Supposedly does momentary according to specs.

Haven't used it but been looking at their Trigger 4 Plus for my truck to add some accessories on and not drill holes in the dash.

Homerr

Commander
I was wondering if there was a Bluetooth switch out there so you can connect it to your phone. My luck I'd drop the phone in the water.. lol.

And good point on the battery switch. LOL! I won't admit to anything.. hehehe.

I bought this switch from Amazon and I'm going to give it a try. It can be momentary configured and work exactly like a manual trim switch. Max 30 amps (not that you need that much). No holes to drill, no waterproofing. Pretty much plug-n-pray. I can mount it right next to my trim pump and bring the antenna wire out near the bilge blower vent if necessary. Eazy peasy.

And all for only $25:

--

And excellent point on the fail-safe for the remote. I've seen some remotes with that very thing built in. Unfortunately this switch doesn't have that but I'm pretty sure I can install something in the larger remote (it appears to come with 2 different-sized remotes). I have some micro-switches left over from my other electronic modding projects so one of them should work.

Or I could just pull the batteries!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
just remember to seal the open terminals up with marine electrical varnish.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Supposedly does momentary according to specs.

Haven't used it but been looking at their Trigger 4 Plus for my truck to add some accessories on and not drill holes in the dash.
"Voltage: 30 amps"
🤔
Pretty cool though. Been looking for a way to control my lift, but I'm terrified of it running accidentally